Chapter 9: Asher

"Who dares coming into my dwelling?" asked a low and raspy voice now from the right of him. Asher froze as a slimy smooth tentacle brushed against his leg. "Human what are you expecting to do? Are you the latest sacrifice from the Aquins disguised as a hero?" His voice was dripping with a condescending tone that infuriated Asher.

"Dude, is that smell your breath?" Asher asked as he dramatically grabbed his nose. He hoped that the monster could see him in this darkness. "No dental insurance for the wicked, huh?" 

"Your bones will be used as toothpicks when I'm through with you, boy," Vican said with an angry growl.

"It's easy to make threats when you know I can't see, smelly," Asher said—annoyed that the monster continues to insult him. 

"You think sight will help you in the situation you've put yourself in? Very well."

Asher gasped as around him he watched the tentacles begin to shine around him. A fluorescent blue light began to appear from the squid itself, and Asher gasped at the sheer size of it. Tentacles stretched across every corner of the room. The longer Asher tried to see where the massive limbs started and ended, the longer they seemed to become.  Another chuckle escaped the squid's mouth as he appeared directly in front of Asher's face. Asher screamed and tried to swim away as fast as possible while the squid laughed at him. Vican reached out and playfully gripped Asher's ankle with the tip of his tentacle. 

 It wasn't until he was frantically swimming that Asher realized he dropped the sword and shield. His heart sunk to his feet just as the weapons sunk to the floor. 

"You're their big hero?" asked Vican tauntingly. "You can't even keep hold of your weapon! What do you think you're going to do now, boy? Scream me to death?!" A rough cackle sounded throughout the room. "What's wrong, boy? No taunting comments?" 

Asher stopped swimming and watched as the squid made no move closer. He used this time to look around and gain an understanding of his surroundings. He was in what looked like an old ballroom that was demolished on the inside. With the size of Vican, Asher was unable to make out the entire size of the room, but he imagined it to be big without the giant squid crammed into it. He was on one side, and Vican's head was on another. The squid's sword-shaped head stood hauntingly next to Asher's bare fist he was left to work with. Wooden banisters that made up the ceiling were scattered on the ground, and there were huge holes in the walls and ceiling.

What the hell are you going to do, Ash? He thought to himself.

The only thing Asher was sure of was this: he wasn't going to die down here.

Not like this.

"You let me worry about me," Asher taunted from the other side of the room. "You need to worry about how you're going to get out of this," Asher looked at him and scoffed. "You want a witty comment? How about I've seen clownfish more intimidating than you!" 

"That would mean a lot more from someone who didn't just squeal like a piglet," Vican countered with a chuckle.

Asher had enough of the games. He focused on the light blue water particles that surrounded Vican and began to freeze them. Vican looked confused at first before he jerked his tentacle hard, breaking the half-frozen water surrounding him. He jolted forward, his pointed sword-like head spearing toward Asher, who barely managed to topple away before being impaled.

Vican stretched out a tentacle and lashed Asher across the face. The bubble of air-popped, and with tears in his eyes, Asher frantically put the air bubble back together. Vican lashed at him with his tentacle again, but this time Asher dodged the monster's mighty limb and swam lower than he was.