Chapter 28: Jayden

Jayden could never sleep the day before a big game. The excitement of what was to come made it impossible for him to slow down and relax. He would go through plays in his head, imagine what the team was going to play like, and what he would do to counter their defense.

Tonight was like one of those nights, but it was a different excitement.

Instead of plays, home runs, and fly balls, Jayden found himself thinking of monsters. What horrible monsters were beneath the surface of Coventry? What spells and curses did Gedeon have that would have to fight?

What would happen if they were captured?

There was more at stake tomorrow morning that just a random basketball game. Tomorrow morning, four realms march out acting as one to overthrow an evil wizard.  Four, Jayden thought to himself. Not five.

Jayden hadn't forgiven himself for what happened back in Enflad. King Gowen of the Elves was all too excited to deny safety and help the other realms against Gedeon. Would they face them in battle tomorrow as well?

A shudder went down his spine. He sat up in his bed. Jayden and the others had to go back to the human world and tell their parents they were sleeping over at different places. Jayden, Asher, and Judah would all be at the other's houses and Elle would be attending to Selena's sister.

In reality, they were in Bregslin. Preparing for war.

What would happen if he never came home?

Hagar had accommodated each of the guardians with their room. It wasn't a huge luxury like he saw at Halayah's castle. There was a mirrored vanity on the wall farthest from the door and a dresser on the wall next to the door. The only other thing that was in the room was the bed that he sat on. Normally, this would have excited Jayden, but tonight he wanted to be around people. He wanted to remember that he wasn't alone, but every time he closed his eyes he was surrounded by darkness. Darkness that held unknown dangers and turmoil.

"Snap out of it, J," he said to himself. He put his hands on his cheek and lightly tapped his palms against his face. "Just another day," he told himself. "Tomorrow is just another day."

But it wasn't another day. It was a war. A war where there would be death and destruction and someone would come out of it victorious. Panic started to rise in his body. He clutched at his chest and began to hyperventilate. The world around him seemed to be completely swallowed in darkness. Jayden couldn't see anything through the tears that blurred his vision. It didn't feel like a single breath was enough oxygen for him to carry on. Everything was getting blurry. He fell off his bed and curled his body into a ball on the floor.

"You're okay."

A hand touched his head and began to run its fingers through his tight curls. Jayden didn't even know someone had entered the room. How long had they been there? His panic started to increase as did his embarrassment, but with each stroke, Jayden felt a bit of his anxiety turn away. He had no idea who it was touching him. His vision was still out of sorts. He was just grateful to not be alone.

"Focus on my voice and try to follow along with what I say," the voice said. It sounded familiar but Jayden couldn't bring himself to remember who it was. Everything in his mind felt chaotic. "Breathe in, 2, 3, 4, good Jayden, now breathe out, 2, 3, 4."

They repeated this breathing exercise several times before Jayden felt like he had returned to normal. He looked up at the person who helped him and saw Elora's sympathetic face staring down at him. She extended her hand to help him up.

"I'm sorry you had to see that," Jayden said. He took her hand and stood up. His head rushed and he took a breath and closed his eyes to steady himself.