Chapter 29: Selena

The days seemed to drift slowly now that Selena was truly on her own. Ander might have betrayed her, but he was at least someone to connect with. Someone to whom she could speak her mind to. Since he left her the only interaction she's had has been with Delmar, and that hasn't been much. He normally just taunts her from the doors.

She laid down on her cot and stared up at the dark ceiling. Was this how she was to spend her days? Elora did this for what, seventeen years? Selena struggled with the mere days of silence she's had in between Ander leaving the cell block. She frowned as she turned over on her stomach and held her too thin to actually do anything pillow in her arms. She placed her face on the rough material and let out a giant scream.

When she stopped shouting she heard a quiet disturbance from outside. Had she screamed so loud her shout echoed? No, it couldn't have been made from her. That sound wasn't just a shout. It was a chorus of roars that made the hairs on Selena's neck stand up. She sat up on her cot and clutched at her chest and tears welled in her eyes. "They're here," she whispered to herself. "They're actually here."

She smiled. She knew that it was a weird thing to do, but she couldn't help it. There might be a war going on but she'd been in this hellish cell for weeks now. It was the first time she'd seen a glimmer of hope since she arrived in this forsaken place. Soon she would be with Judah, Elle, Jayden, and Asher. They could go back to normal.

And Gedeon would be dead.

She stood up and walked over to her cell door. She pressed her face as hard as she could against the bars, but there was no one to be seen in the hallway. She wanted to know what was happening. She looked at the window conjoining her cell to Ander's old one. Had he not betrayed her she's sure that he would have loved to share this moment with her.

It was weird. Even though he lied, Selena still felt as if she knew him. Like he knew he had to betray her but that didn't mean that he wanted to.

You don't have time to focus on him. Selena thought to herself. You need to get out of here and help fight.

She ached for the electricity inside of her to boil over and release itself. She yearned for the sky to obey her commands and wash away any of her enemies that dared to stand in her way. Her powers, though strong, lay dormant as she stays behind these bars.

"Hey!" she called out into the hall. She bent down to the small slot where they slide her trays of food to her every day and picked up the wooden slab she's used as a plate. She banged the slab against the bars and yelled as loud as she could. "Hey!"

The doors to the cell block opened and Selena raised her eyebrows. She was impressed that she got their attention so quickly. Delmar emerged from down the hall. His sweaty face looked nervous, and Selena couldn't help but feel joy at the fact that he was uncomfortable for once.

"Something that matter, Delly?" she taunted from behind her cell.

He ignored her and ran over to her cell. He fiddled with his keys and threw open the doors. "I've been instructed to take yous to Gedeon's estate," Delmar said. He grabbed her by the arm and jerked her out of the cell. She tugged back, but the troll's grip was too strong for her to break.

"Catlynn!" she cried remembering Ander told her that she was in the cell block. "Catlynn?! Where are you?"

"Over here, Lady!" a small voice cried. Selena jerked her head around and saw Catlynn pressed up against the bars. "What's going on?" Selena could barely make out her features due to the darkness of the cell block.

"I think we're under attack!" Selena called back. She struggled with Delmar as he tried to round the corner ending her communication with Catlynn. She threw her foot on the corner and used her leg as a hook to stop him from moving. "They're coming, Catlynn! You'll be rescued soon!"