Chapter 18: Judah

Encatia was beautiful.

After the initial shock of teleporting subsided, Judah was blown away by the clear blue sky with just the right amount of white clouds surrounding it. Streets were paved with cobblestone that had lines of floral tiles embedded in them. There wasn't a sidewalk that didn't have a flower bush of some kind on it. The buildings were bright and colorful. Everything that surrounded them was crafted to perfection.

Judah had a feeling he hadn't even seen the best of it yet.

"The castle is down this way," Elora said. She pointed behind the group and Judah's jaw dropped when he saw the palace. It was a giant golden building with white pearl accents that traveled alone in a vine pattern. Rows of trees and flower beds lined the courtyard, and at the center was a large diamond shrine to the queen. The sun hit the gem perfectly, and a beautiful radiant reflection bounced off it in every direction.

"Subtly isn't their strong suit, is it?" asked Asher.

"Not at all," Elora chuckled.

When they walked through the gate that guarded the palace Judah froze. Standing before them was a dragon. It had red scales and crystal blue eyes. The surface of its skin was smooth, and when they walked in it bowed its head to them. Elora continued to walk as the four guardians stood frozen.

"Elora, are you just walking by a dragon?" Jayden asked.

The absurdity of that sentence didn't even strike Judah as he stood, eyes locked on the red beauty. It walked over to him and nudged his chest with its head. He looked at Elora cautiously who simply nodded at him that it was okay.

"Dragons aren't the creatures that you read about in your world," Elora said as Judah raised his hand and placed it on top of its head. It purred and shook its neck as he ran his finger along the scaly surface. "While they can be ferocious, the truth is, it all depends on how you raise them. The Queen would never allow wild and dangerous creatures to roam her garden freely. This is a very trained dragon."

The other walked over and raised their hand cautiously. The dragon looked at them excited, almost as if it was a dog whose owner just got home from a long day of work. They pet the dragon for a minute before Elora cleared her throat and ushered them along.

"There will be many things that you've not seen before tonight. I wish that we could have come here under different circumstances, or that you had your memories of here from when you were children-"

"We played with dragons as kids?!" Asher asked incredulously. "That's freaking badass!"

"None of that language," Elora said. "You're going to be on your best behavior. The Queen has a habit of disguising herself with her magic. You never know who you're talking to, so make sure that every impression you make tonight is a positive one."

Judah felt his chest tighten again. What could he possibly prove at a ball? He'd never gone to a ball before. He hadn't even been to a school dance. Those were typically pretty lame in Saffron. Teachers would dress up and play a couple of line dance songs and then send you on your way. Judah couldn't dance to save his life.

Cold sweat appeared on his brow. What if the Queen expected him to dance with her? Or for her? He'd surely fail any assignment of that regard.

"You look like you're about to pass out," Elle whispered. "Are you okay?"

"I'm nervous," Judah said. "What if I fail?"

Elle grabbed his arm and let the others walk ahead of them to the giant gold-plated doors. Elora raised her hand and knocked on it and two fairy men opened the door for Asher, Jayden, and her.