Chapter 10: Judah

Judah sat on a rock in the mouth of the Aquin's cave and watched as the waves crashed against the boulders that surrounded him. He wanted to know what was happening with Asher. He wanted to help him.

He knew that with the trials, he and his friends would be put in dangerous situations, but he always assumed they would be there to help. Now, it's been a few hours and they've heard nothing from Asher since he went to Substansia.

He had already let one member of the group slip away and had let them face God knows what for weeks. He doesn't want to add a second tally.

"You look lost in your mind."

Judah turned and saw Elle walking toward him. She sat next to him in silence as the water continued to crash on the rocks around them. "Just thinking," he said. "It's a scary time. We don't know where Selena is. We don't know what is happening to Asher, or if he's even okay. I just feel like we turned seventeen and haven't gotten off a rollercoaster since then."

"Imagine what eighteen will be like," Elle joked with him. Judah frowned and Elle nudged him on the shoulder. "Come on, that was funny."

Judah gave her a small smile and nudged her back. "So, you nervous about your trial?"

"Oh yes," said Elle sarcastically. "The frat boy horsemen are so intimidating! How will I ever survive one of their rigorous trials?!" Judah laughed and looked at Elle who smiled brightly. Her blonde hair was caught in the sun. Her blue eyes matched the surrounding water around them, and Judah couldn't help but realize how truly beautiful Elle was.

Wait, Judah, no. He thought to himself. Selena. You're with Selena. She's kidnapped right now. Those thoughts are not okay.

"I mean, we don't know anything about these creatures," Judah said. Guilt rose in his chest as the thoughts lingered. He felt awful for what he was thinking. It was just a thought though, right? "What if Asher is down there right now getting sacrificed to some fish god?"

"Well, then, at least we have plenty of fish jokes to make at his funeral."

Judah laughed and laid down on the rock. The surface of the boulder was rough against the back of his head. The sky was beautifully clear as the sunset over the horizon. Brilliant shades of purples, pinks, and oranges sprouted around them.

Elle laid next to Judah. He couldn't be sure, but he felt her hand brush against his. Was it intentional? Did Elle want to touch his hand? Or was he simply overthinking everything? Selena. He reminded himself. Selena. Your...

He didn't have the word. What was Selena to him? His girlfriend? Sure, they kissed. Yes, they expressed feelings for each other. Never once though did Judah look at her and ask her to be his girlfriend.

But that doesn't make what is happening right now right.

Judah's pinky extended and touched Elle's hand. She looked at him, confusion and anxiety all burned within her eyes. Slowly she extended her pinky and touched his, linking their fingers together.

"Judah-" Elle began before a loud shout interrupted their conversation.

"Judah! Elle! Now!" Jayden called from the inside of the cave.

Judah jumped up from the rock and sprinted to the cave where Elora had called to them. Jayden was kneeling by Asher who was on the ground of the cave floor. His skin was paler than normal, and a stream of blood was puddling around his head. "We need to stop the bleeding!" Elle said as she ran over to Asher and knelt. She grabbed his hands in hers. "What do we do?!"

Elora knelt, and took Asher's head in her hands. A bright soft glow illuminated the cave, and Judah felt a warm, hopeful presence enter his body. Elora stood over Asher with a calm and stoic expression as she left her hand on the top of his head. When she removed it, Judah saw no more blood coming out of his head.