Chapter 12: Elle

Elle had spent all night trying to learn the game Skydance. She and Jayden had transported themselves to the dead world where she could build some small three feet stone pillars to practice the moves. Elora had taught her the basics, but Elle felt she had no shot against players who played this their whole lives.

"Jayden this is useless," Elle said.

She plopped down on a pillar and crossed her legs. She placed her head in her hands and resisted the urge to cry. How had this become the situation she was in? It wasn't even just the Skydance trial. She hooked up with Judah.

She betrayed her best friend.

Her best friend that was kidnapped.

And the one thing she could do to help her was the one thing that seemed impossible. Elle considered herself a strategist, but the moves were complicated, and Jayden seemed to have a better grasp of it than her.

"You're not useless," Jayden said hopping on a pillar next to her. "You're kind of stupid with your personal choices, but not useless."

"Not the time, Jayden."

Elle felt bad enough. It wasn't enough that she and Judah hooked up, but did she have to like it that much? She could still feel the touch of his hands on her skin. The way that his lips moved as they crashed against hers.

What was worse? She wanted it to happen again.

"You're right," said Jayden holding up his hands in surrender. "You're right. I made my opinions clear already."

They sat quietly for a minute. Jayden's long legs dangled from the pillar. Elle looked at his face and saw the way he bit his lip. She knew he had more to say. "What is it, Jayden?" she sighed.

"Our powers weren't linked until we trusted each other. We had to learn to let ourselves open up, and only then were we able to overcome Deidre and help Elora get out of the castle. You're jeopardizing that trust with what you're doing with Judah. You have to ask yourself is it worth it?"

Elle wanted to say yes. She wanted to tell him that her feelings are growing by the day for Judah. That even though she knew it was wrong she wanted to keep the group strong and their powers protected, but her heart fought against her every step of the way. She didn't know how to tell Jayden she thought she was falling in love with Judah.

She didn't know if she wanted to admit those feelings to herself yet either.

"You knew about them, Jayden," Elle said. "I told you about them in the meadow-"

"And you promised me that nothing would come of it."

Elle knew she was losing this conversation. Jayden was full of anxiety, but he was also the most rational of all of them. He had a good head on his shoulders, and that's one of the reasons Elle enjoyed talking with him so much. It's rare to find people who are just genuinely good.

That's also why she became annoyed as this conversation progressed.

"I can't help my feelings Jayden. I've tried. You don't think that I feel awful about this?! I love Selena. She's my best friend," Tears stung her eyes. She tried to make them go away, but soon streams were falling down her cheeks. "In our past lives, where I was just Rosemary, apparently this was happening then too. I never even thought about Judah in that way before I found my old memories."

It was the classic question they had all asked themselves since getting their memories back. Where do their past life end and their new life begin? Or were they just blended into one cluster of a person now?

"That's...more complicated," Jayden admitted.

"You're telling me."

Elle knew this problem wouldn't be solved by crying about it. She would have to focus on one problem at a time. The one that could actually help Selena.