Chapter 25: Asher

Asher didn't miss the minotaur realm. For Asher, being around all the jock and bro talk made him feel uncomfortable. It was everything he hated. From the core of who he was, Asher was not a sports kind of guy. It's why his friendship with Jayden was special.

Two opposites who found a way to coexist and be friends while doing it. Best friends even.

As they walked along the cobblestone streets of Bregslin, Asher nudged Jayden on the shoulder. He had been extremely hard on himself since coming back from his failed trial. Jayden had big expectations for himself. All around him his family was successful. Jayden wasn't used to failure. From a young age he strove for perfection, and Asher had a feeling that up until this point, Jayden had achieved it.

"Hey man," Asher asked. "Do you need to talk?"

"No," Jayden said aggressively. "No, I don't."

He attempted to continue walking, but Asher grabbed onto his arm and pulled him into a narrow alleyway. "Dude, you gotta snap out of this. People mess up sometimes. It's what makes us human. You gotta get your head in the game. There is a lot at stake right now-"

Jayden shoved him off. "Leave me alone, Asher. You don't get it!"

"I do get it!" Asher said. "You don't think I freaked out when I had to fight a giant fucking squid? You had to answer a riddle and unfortunately got it wrong!" Fairies that were walking by started to stare at their commotion and Asher sighed and led Jayden further into the alley. He lowered his voice. "Look man, we are in this fight together. We have the dwarves, minotaurs, fairies, and the aquins. This is a sure-fire win. We just need to keep ourselves together."

"It isn't the same for us, Asher," said Jayden. "I'm not used to failing-"

As the words escaped his lips Asher watched Jayden's eyes widen. He cupped his hand over his mouth and instinctively reached his hand out to apologize to his friend. "Asher," he said. "I'm so sorry! I didn't mean it-" 

Asher felt like a brick had been dropped on his chest from three stories up. He looked at his best friend and frowned. Was this what he thought of him? Was Asher a failure in his eyes? He shook his head and backed away from Jayden. He avoided the outstretched hands.

"No," Asher said shaking his head. "I think you said exactly what you were wanting too. Who needs to take advice from someone like me, right?" Asher shrugged past Jayden and ignored him calling his name as he reintegrated into the crowd of fairies. Jayden followed behind him, he called out to him and tried to get him to come back and talk.

But Asher couldn't. Not after how that comment made him feel.

So he ran.

It was stupid. He knew that if Jayden wanted to catch him he absolutely could. Jayden was the sports star at their school, and Asher couldn't remember the last time that he went for a run that wasn't from a monster sent to kill him. He hoped that by running, Jayden understood what he wanted to say.

Asher bumped through the crowd without even mumbling the words excuse me. He ran as fast and hard as he could until he felt himself getting winded. It was quicker than he wanted it to be, but he ducked into an alley and sat down on the cobblestone floor. He put his face in his hands and tried to fight back the tears that he felt boiling up inside of him.

He was embarrassed feeling like this, but he couldn't help it. Asher had finally found a place where he was accepted, or at least he thought he was. He had a beautiful girl, he had a best friend who was cool (or so he thought), and he had badass magic powers that made him feel like he was more than just the rags to riches kid.

I'm so stupid. Asher thought to himself. He leaned his head against the wall and felt a tear trickle down his face. People like them will never see you as more than the kid who was awful in class.