[ 013 ] chapter thirteen

╭─━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━─╮

AN UNEXPECTED REUNION

╰─━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━─╯

"Rei! Come on, wake up!" Sam nudged the girl by the shoulders. Czarina weakly lifted her arm at her chest. She's conscious but extremely light-headed due to her fall. "I got.. a vest.."

Her father immediately ripped her buttoned shirt open, everything was blurry when she scanned her surroundings. Selby and her guards are all down. But it won't be long before the others find out that their boss is dead. They need to go now.

"The vest caught it." Bucky exhaled in relief and lightly pressed his daughter's cheek. "Can you get up? We need to go."

"Yeah, yeah." Czarina gasped for air. The spot on her chest where the bullet hit ached badly but it was bearable to her. She stretched out her arms to Sam and Bucky to help her stand up. Blood rushed to her head, blacking out everything for a split second. "Woah." She swallowed as her whole body twitched.

"They’re gonna pin this on us." Sam worried, the both of them staring at Selby's body on the floor.

Zemo can only sigh heavily. "We have a real problem now, so leave your weapons and follow my lead."

They took the fire exit of the bar to get out, surprisingly there weren't any guards on the backdoor so it wasn't difficult to reach the streets unharmed. Well, except for Czarina. Her left arm hung around her dad's shoulder for support as they trailed after Zemo. They are fine for now, but they got a bigger problem after a crime boss was killed right in the same room they were in, so they might not be alive for the next few minutes if they don't get out of the area right away.

"We are so dead. Damn you Zemo. Izabel had a beef with the king." Czarina coughed, her ribs felt sore and so did her arms. All of the sudden chiming sounds popped up all over the place. "This is not good." Zemo outright admitted to them.

"No shit. I got a gunshot bruise in my chest and a bleeding shoulder."

As soon as they took a left turn on the street corner, gunshots fired from every possible direction. They all instinctively duck to avoid the indiscriminate firing. Czarina, with her hold tightening in her dad's neck, limped away with Sam and Bucky as fast as she could. Soon the civilians after them were joined by those masked, motorcycle riders. All of them circling the three like vultures.

"I can’t run in these heels!" Sam complained, finding it hard for him to keep up because of his footwear. They continue running until they reach the darker side of the street they are headed at. Before the two riders and a couple of individuals who are still tailing them get any closer, shots were fired from above.

The first one was hit right at the shoulder, then the other two fell instantly on the ground. Even the riders didn't have the chance to retaliate; they were also gunned down too. Czarina, Bucky, Sam and the newly appeared Zemo abruptly stop in their tracks. They all stood puzzled and confused about what just happened.

The streets are once again empty and they are the only ones left standing.

"You seem to have a guardian angel." Zemo took notice of the second time a perfectly timed shooting happened. For a place like Madripoor, this seems too good to be true. Czarina scanned their surroundings with wild eyes.

"Well, this is too perfect." A voice spoke from the dark. She jolted in her feet. A lone figure emerged from the shadows. Czarina's eyes widened on the recognition of the person in front of them.