[ 001 ] chapter one

╭─━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━─╮

TALE OF THE
WAR-BORN CHILD

╰─━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━─╯

Czarina's earliest memory was a white room. Four corners, all tiled with a small window and a door that everyday she wishes not to open. Because once it does, the horrors start and it won't stop until she is limp and strapped on a chair with lights too bright it burns against her head.

But one day the door brought something else. The doctors, what they called themselves, weren't alone that day. We have something for you. Behind the towering built of Doctor Eve and Doctor David was a child. The exact same height as hers, wearing the same grey pair of clothes she wore and a tag sticking on their left chest that says "Тема B". Subject B.

It was like staring straight into a mirror.

Czarina would have run and hid under her bed if she didn't remind herself that Doctor Eve doesn't like that kind of behaviour.

So even with the uncomfortable feeling blooming in her chest, she stood up unfazed and observed the features of the boy in front of her. They had the same, exact face except for a very few differences such as the color of their eyes and light freckles dotting on the boy's cheeks.

Czarina didn't need to speak first as Subject B was the one to break the unspoken curiosity between the two, asking - "Kto ona?" Who is she?

"Eto tvoya sestra! I on tvoy brat. A meet B. Vy dvoye brat'ya i sestry" She's your sister! And he's your brother. A meet B. The two of you are siblings.

Siblings. A family. Those were the things she had learned from the doctors that never left her mind ever since she heard about it. She always wondered if she had a Mama or Papa. And if she is going to ever see them. But the girl kept those questions with her and never spoke about it.

And now a boy who exactly looks like her is something that is called a twin. A sibling who's with her from the very beginning. Czarina politely accepted the truth given to her that day, she shook hands with him and smiled brightly like how she was taught by the doctors how to greet people. When they were left alone with new toys to play with, she couldn't ask for more. It was the happiest day she had in her entire life. The white room feels less lonely, and her days after that moment were more bearable.

She would patiently wait for the hour of the day to come when her brother would appear in the room with the doctors. Sometimes he had his own toys and books to share with her. Sometimes there were treats and food. Everytime he comes to the room Czarina forgets about the rest of the day, no matter how bad or horrible it was. After all she was happy, she had a brother and she wasn't alone anymore.

But it seemed like it was different for him. Despite how nice the things around them are, her brother had a lot of questions about it. He would ask about their parents, where they are and why they were left at the hands of the bad doctors.

Keep your voice down, they aren't bad and they won't like to hear that. She will always remind him and shush him down.

If they aren't bad, why don't they like my simple questions? He would only reply and continue talking about his curiosity about certain things that Czarina has never thought of.

Things that deep down the girl knows that doctors and scary guards would despise to hear and much more, entertain to give an answer. She had been through it before and it wasn't a pleasant experience for a child. So she never did it again. But obviously her brother knows about it too, he just persistently asks and wonders. That's why it wasn't a surprise that he has newer bruises in his hands and wrist almost every day and why he hasn't seen the sun yet, unlike her.