[ 015 ] chapter fifteen

╭─━━━━━━━━━━━━━━─╮

DIPLOMACY IS A
TWO WAY STREET

╰─━━━━━━━━━━━━━━─╯

While the three men left in search for refugee camps that know who Donya Madani is, Czarina had a different idea in mind for herself. Instead of joining them she plans to take a different route in finding the information they need.

"Are you sure about this?" Bucky asked for the third time as he watched Czarina put on the borrowed beanie. "Yes. I have my plan." She only repeated her previous reply. "You three can go now."

"Be careful, Rei."

Indistinct chatter filled the area as passersby were thrown in the mix of vendors and buyers, all of them preoccupied with their personal business and completely oblivious of the lone super soldier among them. She easily passed another lowlife on the crowd with the ragged and dusted outfit she's wearing. If people around her see the girl as just another wandering kid that needs shelter and food, it'll be easy for her to join the refugee camps. And possibly snoop around enough to get the information she needs.

She can't imagine volunteers and people of the camps being willing to speak to foreign strangers suddenly looking for a family of the group's leader.

The camps are the main beneficiary of Flag Smashers' loot, this is where all the medicines, food, supplies are directed. And it can't be more obvious that those people are aware which side helps them, it creates loyalty and solidarity to the group. If someone went out looking for a family member of the Flag Smashers' leader, especially an Avenger like Sam, who they have most likely associated with the government. No one will talk. Czarina wanted to mention it awhile ago but the other three seem to have their minds firmly on the interrogation route to find answers.

So she's here alone. With an alternative way to do things.

The cool breeze of the late morning air bit against the thick clothing of the girl. She rarely feels this kind of cold back in Boston or New York at this time of the year and obviously in Riga it's different. Czarina intently scanned the surroundings as she walked, the crowds by the sidewalk and gutter, groups in large numbers, any sign of gatherings of refugees.

And then, gotcha, she wasn't that far yet from the marketplace when her eyes landed on the underpass right across where she's standing. People are lining up on the roadside towards the dark area of the alleyway. The blonde didn't hesitate to head towards the target crowd but avoided making them a focus of her gaze. Her head remained hanging low as she crossed the street, upon reaching the other side her left hand crawled inside the pocket of her puffy coat. A slender, cold metal immediately came into contact with her skin, she slid it slightly until its blade was exposed and then her palm pressed hard against the sharp edge. A dull sting shot up from the fresh wound, Czarina winced a little but brushed it off and took out her hand in a closed fist.

The girl didn't go straight at the lined up crowd but instead redirected herself to the nearby trashcan bonfire. A few people were already around it but they did mind the newcomer joining them. The line is getting shorter but people haven't stopped tailing after another. The ones who are leaving hold wrapped up brown boxes that can be carried in hand.

Czarina shuffled in her feet. She needs to get close to the person handing out repacked supplies. Looking over her shoulder the blonde sees another person about to leave the line after picking up what they need, she steers towards them while they are still near the front line. The person was tall, a guy in a hoodie with his eyes too focused on the package he's holding, it made it easy for the girl to enact her plan. His broad shoulder bumped against Czarina's, the girl only let the force of their collision throw her down the pavement and stumbled right in front of the line up.