[ 018 ] chapter eighteen

╭─━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━─╮

I AM FLESH AND BLOOD, 
NONETHELESS 

╰─━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━─╯

Spending the rest of the break in New York with her father was one of the best days Czarina had in the city. They went to tourist spots she wanted to see but they spent more time on places Bucky used to know. And in all honesty she preferred going in those parts of the city, especially seeing how the man finally found it comfortable enough to share his old life in Brooklyn. 

On the fourth day of her stay, a package from Wakanda arrived. Which led them to a surprise visit to Sam's hometown at Delacroix. It's a fishing community by the southeast of Louisiana. Czarina remembers reading about it somewhere but those written information pales in comparison how beautiful the island is. When they arrived at the Wilsons' place, it was a sweet reunion between the three of them. Czarina was glad to see her uncle safe at home in one piece. Far from the fight and dangers they fought outside the country.

As it turns out Sam's family and most of the town are working on fixing the Wilson's fishing boat. Used for their seafood business in the town. Czarina and Bucky gladly help with the job, though the girl mostly with lightweight tasks the older Barnes preferred working in heavy repairs.

"Hey, dad. Didn't you say you worked on the docks during your college years,'" she called out as he passed through carrying scrap metals.

"Yeah, it's a side job so I can get my allowances. I was mostly around Brooklyn, that was my turf." 

"So what's it like to see the Titanic dock and leave?" 

A collective chuckle sounded from the elders and other adults around their spot. Sam and Sarah included.

"C'mon, Rei. Your dad's not that old." Her uncle still had a huge smile on his face.

"Hey, Titanic was from the UK! Rina, your bad history knowledge is showing."

"Now he's gonna give us a history lesson." Czarina groans in a joking manner. 

Bucky tries to answer but his voice is drowned in a roar of laughter and overlapping conversations of the crowd. It didn't take long for both Barnes to be familiar with Sam's family and the people there. The community might be small but it's lively and engaging.

Every now and then others will be surprised with her physical strength and memory skills, so Czarina has to notch it down a bit but despite that the townspeople were very welcoming to her. She was surprised to feel that the fear of standing out or being in the spotlight hasn't dawned on her yet. Which made it easier for her to be more casual. The girl finds herself eagerly working with newly met people, even without Sam or her dad by the side.

Their work only stopped temporarily when the sun was almost setting in the afternoon. The three of them sat by the lower deck of the half repaired boat, Czarina had her legs dangling above the dock level water as she stared at the golden colored lake after them. The noon breeze hitting her reddening face was a relief. She took a swig of the cold Heineken beer in her hand and turned around to face the two adults with her.

"Well...," Bucky got up from his seat, the bottle on his hand clicked against Sam's. "We gotta catch our flight tomorrow. Get a hotel room for the night. Crash, you know?"

"So you’re just gonna set me up like that, huh?" A slight smirk of disbelief appeared on the other man's face.

"I don’t wanna make it weird for your family."