What even is love?

🍒

Love. Some say it's a feeling, others says it's an energy that brings you joy, but what really is love? If you think about it, how you know, that you're in love? Do you get this feeling only once, or you can fall in love more than once? Is this feeling forever? What if the love of your life doesn't feel the same way? What is love? How do you explain it?

🍒

The years is 1877, the years of the sickness, the years of poorness, the years of pain, killing and stealing. The worst years in our history. The year of suffering. We live in times, when the only ones with privileges get good life, if you have money-you have security, that you can survive another year. If you have money-you have future, if you have fortune-you have a lot of friends. This years was a little bit different for all of us. A lot of people lost their money, their businesses, their homes and are left with nothing, but the weird sickness, that was spread around the country.
Unfortunately this sickness came to my home as well and affected my brother. Because of his treatment my family lost a lot of money and we didn't had much to provide. My brother, who's one years younger than me, always had a very light and not very durable body, so for him this sickness was a lot more serious.

"I can't believe it!", my dad shouted out loud, while he was checking this month's checks and bank accounts, "I can't believe the Sano family fall that low, we barely have money to survive this month, I can't say the same for the rest".

"Calm down, dear", my mom always tried her pest to keep us calm and collected, but she herself wasn't ready to give up on all the luxuries she had thru her marriage, "I'm sure Mikey will be on feet in no time".

"You heard the doctor, honey, they aren't sure he'll survive for long. The only way is they this procedure, but it's too goddamn expensive for us to afford", at this point my dad was giving up on the situation. I heard him multiple times suggesting to my mom, that it's time to let go of our 'problems', which made me sad.

We, the Sano family, we always been very, very rich and well known for our business moves, the whole country knows, that we have money for life. Or at least that's what my parents wants others to see. The truth is, after we lost a lot of money, my parents started to become more and more selfish. They only thought about money, gold and what the other royalties are going to think of us, when they find out, that we lost our money. I didn't care about it at all, the only thing important to me was my little brother-Manjiro, also known as Mikey among our friends. He was my best friend, my twin flame, the best thing, that ever happened to me. Around him I feel calm, protected and loved, I feel valued.
Growing up in such a 'nice' family made me realise from a young age, that the only one, who is going to be there for me, when I really need help, is my brother. My dad nor my mom cared enough for us, they didn't even care for each other. The only thing in their minds was money and bags, shoes, watches. So I promised myself that I'll dedicate my life to protect and help Mikey with whatever I can.

Unfortunately in this situation I was hopeless, my brother was laying down in his bed, his eyes close with dark blue circles under them and two tubes in his nose helping him breath, because he was struggling. He hasn't opened his eyes in days and his pulse was very, very slow, sometimes his heart will stop for a min and then get back to work. I was standing next to his bed holding his pale, cold hand and I was watching his chest moving up and down with very slow movements.

"How is he doing, miss y/n", Ken Ryuguji, also known as Draken, is our bodyguard and our best friends. We grew up together, while he was training to protect us. He cared for us more than our parents ever did, that's why me and Mikey love him so much. Draken sat next to me and looked at my brother's face. He was even more hurt than I was in that moment, "is he going to wake up soon?", he asked.

"I heard my parents saying something about a treatment, but I don't think we can afford it right now", I explained to him and let out a deep sigh, "what should I do? Should I find a job, or maybe should I start stealing? I don't know what should I do?", I hid my face with my hands and tried my hardest not to cry.

Before Draken could say something my mother walked inside the room filling the silence with the sound of her heels hitting the floor. Draken stood up and bow down to her to show respect, but she only give him a signal to leave the room and us in it alone. Draken nodded his head and immediately left the room. My mom sat next to me and pretended she was rubbing gently my brother's hand. She looked at me like she had a bad news for me, which I already knew about.

"Y/n, we gotta talk about something", she started and continued to pretend like she was nice and caring, it made me sick to my stomach and I felt the urge to hit her, "I'm sorry to tell you this, but me and your father decided to cut Manjiro's treatment", she said. Mom was such an actress, she wiped her fake tear. I got mad at them and stood up.

"I'm sure there's something we can do, mother, we have time", I said and she smiled at me, but not in a nice way. It was dark and twisted smile like she knew I would say that.

"Well, there is something, honey", she got up from the bed and came behind me, started to play with my curls and made me look in the mirror, "do you know our dearest friend mister Hanma? The richest man in the country? Well, since you and his son are the same age, he suggested he can help us out with Manjiro's treatment, if you agree to marry his son".

"What? NO WAY!", I know Hanma Shuji, I know him since I was a kid. He was spoiled and rude, he was a bully and he was violent, there's no way I'll agree to marry that man. I haven't seen him in years and I like it that way.

"Well then...I guess you have to say goodbye to your brother, because we have no money left to help his treatment", my mo let go of my hair and started walking away. I guess I had no other choice, but to agree.

"Mother, wait!", she stopped in her tracks and looked me over her shoulder, this twisted and creepy smile never left her face, "I'll do it".

"Very good! I'll tell your father and we are going to connect mister Hanma to tell him you said yes to his offer", my mom clapped with her hands and left the room. I walked back to the chair next to Mikey's bed, sat and I started crying over my brother's frozen body. I know I'm doing this for good, but did I made the right choice? Hanma Shuji of all people?