Chapter 8

08 : Father Greeted Us With Agony

The Sybaris forest was a long and extensive strip of woodland separating Vrivarya from the Sea of Mirovia and served as the first line of defense against invaders. And yet here I was, watching the same forest burning as hordes of siphons and bloodsuckers swarmed over the place.

"What in the world . . ."

Three bloodsuckers immediately disintegrated as soon as one assassin unsheathed his sword. It took me a second to realize that the assassins were fighting with just half of their powers because of the sun. Sure, the forest was poorly lit because of the dense canopies of trees, but a little ray of light could still hurt them.

"Lady," Kei called with a hint of warning and urgency. Pumuwesto siya sa likuran ko at agad na inihanda ang dagger sa kamay niya. "This place is dangerous. They can sense your presence. Let's head back to the palace."

I tried assessing the situation. There were several groups of mages, trackers, and assassins fighting against the other undead, and looking at them dominating the latter, it seemed like I was worried for nothing.

Siguro naman ay magiging ayos lang ang tatlo lalo na at marami naman silang kasama.

"Fine."

We were about to return when I suddenly felt a killing intent directed to me. My feet froze upon seeing the horde of Katteri lurching at our direction.

"A royal blood!" hissed one of them as he bared his bloody teeth.

I thought I could already fight against enemies like these after facing them before and training with my retainers, but seeing their numbers made me have some second thoughts.

Before I could try to calm down, I felt an incredible amount of pressure coming from every direction. The next thing I knew, bodies and heads of Katteris were already collapsing and rolling before they could reach me.

"Lady!"

Moria, Irus, and Sigrid were brutally killing every Katteri that dared coming at me. Maging ako ay natakot sa expressions nila kaya marahan na rin akong umatras papunta kay Kei.

"Uh, I guess they're fine," I mumbled as I watched them slaughter every undead around the area.

Kei sighed. "They are. Now, we need to return, lady, or more undead will come after you."

That alone made me head back to the city proper.

Habang pabalik kami ay hindi ko pa rin maiwasang mapatingin sa direksyon ng forest. Even the humans had worried looks on their faces.

"Why is Vrivarya being attacked?"

"Is it because of the princess? Did they learn about her powerlessness?"

"I heard there's another one."

"What?"

Their conversation prompted Kei to move quickly, pulling me along with him. Ilang minuto lang ang nakalipas ay agad kaming nakabalik kung saan namin iniwan ang grim. He whinnied nervously, as if he could feel the ongoing clash in the forest.

I quickly climbed onto him and before I could get myself ready, the grim galloped in his fastest speed.

***

To say I was dizzy was an understatement. Pakiramdam ko ay tumawid ako sa iba't ibang mundo habang nakasakay sa likod ng grim kanina. Pagdating namin sa palace gate ay halos mawalan na ako ng malay sa sobrang pagkahilo. Fortunately, Kei was with me.