Chapter 25

25 : To the Land of Peace

There was a final court meeting to wrap everything about the royal parley.

I nominated Kei and Sigrid to be my attendants along with Zaria. Of course, announcing my choices to them didn't end up peacefully.

Sigrid was overjoyed that she started mocking Moria. "As expected, only the strongest are chosen."

One thing that I learned while staying in Vrivarya was that mages, despite their cheerful and alluring demeanor, were frightening when angered. They hold grudges and make sure to exact revenge even if it takes thousands of years.

A sweet smile spread over Moria's face, and I already knew what that meant. Irus instinctively hid inside my shadows while Kei retreated behind me. Even I wanted to run away but it would look ridiculous if her master feared her retainer.

What was more frustrating was that Sigrid would always retaliate. Napabuntonghininga na lang ako habang pinapanood sila. These women will surely cause trouble if I brought them together or if both were left behind.

I couldn't bring Irus, too, since we'd be sailing the sea and there wouldn't be enough shade to cover him when the sun is up. He could stay in my shadow, but the other kingdoms might misunderstand our intention if we brought an experienced assassin in concealment.

"Her Highness is just kind. She didn't want to hurt your ego even if your presence weren't even needed in the first place," Moria retorted with a smile on her face.

"You described envy wrong," Sigrid returned.

Sparks flew between them, and I knew my room would turn into a maelstrom of chaos if I didn't step in.

"Enough, you two," I warned. Fortunately, they both stopped coming at each other's throat and stayed silent for a while.

If I told anyone that the tamest among my retainers was a freaking assassin, they surely wouldn't believe me. I get more and more exhausted when I'm dealing with them as they continue to compete for my praise and validation.

Kei, Sigrid, and Zaria went with me to the court meeting to finalize our tasks for the royal parley. The royal council started discussing about our journey to the island of Katur.

"The voyage usually takes a day, but it may take longer if there are hindrances along the way," Troian explained.

As mentioned before, the Sea of Mirovia was teeming with mermaids and they would attack anything they see moving on the surface. Most sailors would use sonars and flammables to keep them away from their ship, but because of their incredible speed, some could still evade those measures and drag people into the depths of the water.

"The ship has been prepared, Your Highness," one of the council members said.

"Will it reach Katur safely?" tanong ko.

"You need not to worry about its durability, Your Highness," Dmitri Estrei chimed in as he placed the blueprint of the ship on the table. "It is made from a special type of oak wood only found in the Sybaris Forest and cupronickel metal acquired from Tuzkan. Artificial sonars were also installed around the hull. I assure Your Highness that the ship will bring you to Katur without any problem."

Zaria leaned toward me. "The Estrei clan is known for their exceptional skills in craftsmanship," she whispered. "Records said that the first head of the Estrei house built the royal palace as an offer of fealty to the throne."

Bumalik ang tingin ko kay Dmitri at nakita ko ang pagngiti niya sa akin. He always had an impassive expression on his face so seeing a smile from him was quite a surprise. Was I just imagining things?