Chapter 10

10 : Being a Princess Is a Tough Job

It had been days since I met the queen, but I still couldn't get over it.

The Stryzyga clan was one of the oldest royal clan of vampires and our bloodline's unique ability was manipulating the blood of anyone, including ours. Meanwhile, the queen was from the noble clan Dvorach, and they said she was one of the most powerful, if not the most powerful charmer to exist for the past few millennia. Realizing that I was one of the heirs of those two clans was too great a burden, and it just sank in when I experienced their abilities firsthand.

"Lady?"

Moria's voice interrupted my thoughts. "Sorry, what did you say?"

"Nothing, lady, but you've been spacing out lately. Are you alright?"

Even Moria who had been on a continuous defense duty could tell that I was distressed about something. Mukhang concerned din sa Irus dahil tumango siya mula sa kinatatayuan niya. Fortunately, Sigrid and Kei, who would surely chide me indirectly, weren't here.

"Oh, it's nothing concerning," I said, hoping that they would buy it, but the moment they exchanged looks, I knew my words did not reassure them. "Okay, I admit that did not sound convincing."

Moria shifted in her seat. "Is this about the noble clans, lady?"

Isa pa iyon. There seemed to be movements from the noble clans even though the thorough discussion about the royal parley had been exclusive to the royal house. Hindi ako magtataka kung sa mga susunod na araw ay may gawin sila.

"Are there any unusual activities from them?" tanong ko.

After what happened during the court meeting, I asked my retainers to monitor the nobles' movements just so I would know what was happening beyond the palace gate, especially since they were gaining more power until my arrival.

"The Kuslavs have their hands full with the border security after what happened last time," reported Moria. "On the other hand, the Dvorachs seem to be eerily quiet."

The queen's clan, huh? I wondered if the rift between her and them would directly affect the parley.

"The Revali, Estrei and Sereka clans are yet to make big moves, but there have been gatherings within their own fiefs," dagdag ni Irus.

"It feels like the calm before the storm," I murmured. "Anyway, I'd like you to continue monitoring them."

"As you wish, lady."

"Very well. Then, let's—"

Napatigil kaming tatlo nang biglang mayroong kumatok sa pinto. Moria hastily went to open it while Irus stayed by my side. Agad na napaawang ang mga labi ko nang makita ko sina Roesia at Baldric na kasama sina Sigrid at Kei. They should have been on defense duty, so why were they here? What was happening?

"Your Highness," called Roesia as she lightly bowed at me.

"What's the matter?"

"We are tasked to observe and upskill your retainers as part of the preparation for the parley," she replied.

For the parley? Halos mapanganga naman ako sa narinig dahil parang ang bilis ng mga pangyayari. I thought it would take at least several days before the royal court could finalize their decision regarding the parley, but I guess everything had been settled. But somehow, this kind of development kind of perturbed me.

Nang tumungo sina Roesia sa kabilang kuwarto ay agad kong tinawag ang apat. "Well, I hope you come back stronger."

"We will, lady," they said in chorus.