Chapter 20

20 : Testing the Limits

I concluded my visit to the Dvorach fief after seeing the synders. Kamilia and Girard escorted me out of their castle as the royal carriage was already waiting for me.

I was about to step into the carriage when Kamilia called my attention. "Your Highness."

"What is it?"

A guileful smile escaped her lips. "I do hope you remember my advice."

"I will. But Lady Kamilia, you must heed my words, too." I coldly returned her gaze and her smile vanished. "You are not a royal blood. I suggest you tread lightly."

Without waiting for her reaction or response, I marched back to my carriage and left the Dvorach fief.

Napabuntonghininga na lamang ako habang pabalik kami sa royal grounds. The Dvorach and Kuslav clans would be my enemies if they kept on tormenting Zaria, but their influence across the kingdom was much greater than mine. I had to be careful with dealing with them.

Nang makabalik kami sa palasyo ay dumiretso ako sa kuwarto ko at naabutan ko si Zaria na naghihintay sa loob.

"You're back," she greeted. "How was it?"

I sighed dejectedly. "Kamilia is a tough one."

She chuckled in return. "The Dvorach has always been tough. Just look at the queen."

From the records, most of the royal consorts had been selected from the Dvorach clan. They were the most influential among the nobles and their bloodline power was powerful enough to pique the interest of the royal family. Mother even got their clan's most coveted manifestation of ability.

"Kamilia's ability seems inferior to Mother," I remarked.

"That's why lady Kamilia loathes the king and queen," she replied. "She was supposed to be the queen consort since she's the eldest daughter of the clan head."

"Even though they knew Mother was more powerful?"

She gazed at me with an amused grin. "And that's where the politics comes in."

"What do you mean?"

"Kaiser Dvorach, their father and former head, wanted Mother to inherit their clan to strengthen their power and influence after sending Kamilia in the royal palace. That way, he could have control over the nobles and the royal family. That was his grand plan. However, Father ultimately chose Mother as his consort."

"Because he knew Kaiser's plan?"

Zaria responded with a hearty laugh. "Oh, no. I told you, Father was never interested in politics. He just felt disrespected because Kaiser sent an inappropriate candidate after learning that Mother was the strongest noble in their clan."

Ah, right. For the king, strength matters the most. If he were to select a consort, he'd surely want someone who's strong enough to stand beside him.

"So, he demanded them to hand Mother to the royal palace?"

"Yes, and Mother accepted it without second thoughts. That's why Kamilia detests them."

Now I see why she behaves as if she were a royal blood. She was trained to be a consort since childhood. She was supposed to be the queen. However, that future was taken away from her by her own younger sister. No wonder she was resentful toward them.

Envy is a powerful tool.

Kamilia's words suddenly echoed inside my head as I stared curiously at Zaria.