Chapter 12

12 : A Visit to the Nobles' Fiefs

I had been in Vrivarya for almost six months, but this was the first time I missed my bed dearly.

For the past few days after I was formally announced as the princess, my moderately idle life suddenly turned eventful. One of my first obligations was visiting the five cities and five fiefs. I did get excited leaving the palace grounds, but there was much more burden because it was an official visit as a member of the royal family.

"Are you sure this is the right dress for an official visit?" tanong ko kay Sigrid habang inaayos niya ang corset sa likuran ko.

"It is, Your Highness," she replied, looking confident at the dress she just picked for me.

I was wearing a white dress with ruffled long sleeves and a bulky layer of petticoat underneath. She also placed a silver choker adorned with jewels around my neck to hide my weak spot. To complete the look, my hair was neatly tied under a feathered bonnet. It was less fancy than the dress I wore during the induction, but it still felt a bit too much.

"You look great, Your Highness," praised Moria, and Kei and Irus followed suit.

It was hard to get used to being called Your Highness after my formal introduction as a princess, especially by my retainers. Ilang weeks din bago ako nasanay na tawagin nilang lady kaya mukhang matagal na pag-a-adjust na naman ang gagawin ko.

After getting ready, they sought permission to leave since their training would until be tomorrow. Tinanong ko nga kung puwedeng maagang matapos 'yon para makasama ko sila sa visit ngayon, pero tumanggi sila sa mungkahi ko. They were determined to finish their training.

"We want you to see our progress, Your Highness," Kei said while playing with his djall.

Tumango naman si Irus. "Stronger than before."

Kahit hindi ko nakikita ang buong mukha niya, pakiramdam ko ay nakangiti siya. And a smiling assassin was someone you wouldn't want to mess with. Actually, the four of them were trying to suppress their smug expressions, but they were failing spectacularly.

Now I'm suddenly scared of how strong they have become. What did those three did to them?

Bago pa ako makapagtanong ay lumabas na sila sa kuwarto ko at makalipas ang ilang minuto ay pumasok naman si Zaria. She greeted me with a smile after seeing my attire.

"You're starting to look and act like a real princess now, Vyrka," she teased while snickering.

A rueful smile escaped my lips. Bigla ko kasing naalala ang nangyari noong ipinakilala ako sa buong Vrivarya. Father, mother, and I were being celebrated while standing on the dais while she was hiding in the shadows. She deserved to be there, too, but she was sidelined because of me. I couldn't help but feel guilty. Pakiramdam ko ay unti-unti kong kinukuha ang dapat ay sa kanya.

"Why do you look disappointed?" she asked. "Is the dress not to your liking?"

"No, it's not that. It's just . . ."

Hindi ko naman masabi ang nasa isip ko dahil pakiramdam ko ay magiging awkward lang kami sa isa't isa. And I didn't want that to happen.

"I'm just nervous," I said as I forced a smile.

She chuckled, not believing my words. "Surely, you jest."

"It's my first time visiting the nobles' fiefs," sagot ko naman. "I am not sure if I can handle them."

Her face darkened. "Right. Just be careful when you're talking with the Kuslavs and Dvorachs. They may be scheming something."

She started summarizing the five noble clans' impressions and warned me about their various ways on how they operate. Gusto ko sanang magpasama sa kanya para kahit papaano ay mas maging comfortable ako kaso may gagawin pa raw siya. Instead, I would be accompanied by two royal knights.