Chapter 26

26 : The Malevolent Sea (and Mermaids)

Humans gathered around the main road to cast a brief look at our carriage. A lot of them looked excited while some showed subtle apprehension. After all, this was their first and last time witnessing the royal princesses stepping out of the borders for the royal parley as it only happens every five hundred years.

"This is a first," mumbled Zaria as she peeked behind the window curtain.

There was a hint of excitement in her eyes as everyone's attention was focused on the carriage and I remembered how she was practically confined within the royal grounds since her existence was a weakness that could be used against the royal family.

It reminded me of her expression during the tournament. Zaria wanted to be surrounded with people after growing up alone and alienated by her own family. I couldn't help but feel regretful after seeing the pleasant smile on her face. She deserved to be treated as a princess, yet she could only enjoy some of its merits when she's with me.

"So, this is what the downtown looks like," she remarked.

Hindi naman matanggal ang ngiti sa mga labi niya habang nakadungaw sa bintana. She was looking at everything in awe. The humans. The infrastructures. Even the dried trees and strange flowers lining up the roads.

Kinailangan naming bumaba mula sa carriage nang marating namin ang bukana ng Sybaris Forest dahil hindi na ito makakadaan doon.

"Follow us, Your Highness, Princess," Kei said as we got out of the carriage.

He and Sigrid led the way through the forest. Thick mist shrouded the trees and ground. Leaves and branches rustled as the wind blew. There was a palpable tension in the air after the trespassing of undead in the forest before. Kei could night-travel us to the dock, but we decided to walk as that skill might be more useful for later.

It took us about an hour to reach the shore, but I stopped short upon seeing a familiar face waiting for us.

"Dmitri," I called as the elder noble stood in front of the newly built ship.

He was wearing a white long-sleeved linen shirt with a red sash around his left shoulder down to his right waist and paired with black trousers. There was also a sheathed sword hanging on his left waist, its bottom half hidden by the black cloak around draped around his shoulders. Was that his combat attire?

"Your Highness," he said while bowing in my direction.

"Why are you here?"

He gave me a small smile. "I'm here to wish you a safe journey."

I narrowed my eyes at him. There was no way the head of the noble clan would go into the Sybaris Forest in full military dress and without any retainers just to see us off. He must have had other reasons.

I suddenly remembered his behavior during the court meeting, and wondered if this was about that.

"Is the Estrei clan pledging its allegiance to the royal house?"

Their faces might have remained impassive, but I knew the three behind me were quite surprised. On the other hand, Dmitri's smile widened.

"Not the royal house, no," he responded while looking at me with an amused expression.

Wait, don't tell me...

I scoffed in return. "Are you offering your fealty to me, Dmitri?"

His dark eyes gleamed in levity. "Perhaps I may, Your Highness."