Chapter 15

15 : The Bloodline's Power

I hadn't really felt any emotional high after my awakening but watching the proud warriors of Vrivarya fight in the coliseum earlier stirred some forgotten sensations inside me. Their unwavering resolve and uninhibited bloodlust gave me a peculiar sense of pride and at the same time, envy.

Designated as the loyal retainers of nobles and royals, these undead were not even at the top of the hierarchy yet they had the strength to topple a country. As this kingdom's princess and the rightful heir to the throne, I should have been the most powerful undead next to my father, and yet I felt like I was nowhere near my retainers' strength. The yawning gap in our powers somehow made me feel unworthy of their service.

The night was already deep when we reached the courtyard, and Sheriff galloped away as soon as I unmounted from his back. Nakabalik na kami sa palace grounds pero hindi namin kasama ang apat. They went straight to the dark mountains to train for the semifinals tomorrow. Hindi ko alam kung ano pa ang dapat nilang i-improve dahil sa nakita ko kanina, hindi malayong isa sa kanila ang manalo sa finals.

"Your Highness!"

I turned my head in the direction of the voice and saw Rurik coming out of his tower. His silver hair and white cloak gleamed under the moonlight as he ran toward my direction. It has been a while since I last saw him, but I don't remember him being that pale.

"Your Highness," Rurik repeated with a smile on his face, but there was noticeable exhaustion in his eyes.

"You look paler than usual. Are you alright?"

He chuckled in response. "I must have looked terrible in your eyes, Your Highness."

"That's not what I mean," I muttered.

Rurik heaved a sigh as he looked over the tower. "A lot of royal knights and palace attendants that are on active duties today have suffered horrible injuries from the tournament. They would be fine with a few ounces of blood and at least two nights of rest but we need to watch our borders especially now that the tension among the vampiric kingdoms is at its highest."

His eyes gleamed with foreboding. The festivities had almost made me forget about the heightened unease among the kingdoms. Sure, our warriors were strong enough to defend the land, but Vrivarya still needed the royals' skills to minimize the casualties.

My train of thoughts was interrupted by Rurik's voice. He had to leave since he was needed in the tower. Agad naman akong tumango at pinanood siya habang naglalakad pabalik. With nothing left to do, I decided to go back to my room, too.

***

Deeply lost in my thoughts, it was only when I turned my head in the balcony's direction that I realized the day was already breaking. Tumayo ako mula sa kinauupuan ko at naglakad ako patungo sa malaking salamin. My face looked paler and frigid. The crimson lining around my eyes were also thicker now. They said the stronger I get, the more crimson lines and runes would appear on my face. Yet my growth in strength seemed to be stunted even though I had been here for over six months.

Improving my physical strength wouldn't be enough. If I wanted to protect the kingdom from the looming war, I needed to learn how to properly use my power. Although Zaria might have an idea on how it works, I think it'd be insulting to ask her about something that she had been disrespected for. The easiest way would be asking my father about it, but I had a feeling he'd be disappointed with me if I were to do that.

Mabilis akong lumabas mula sa kuwarto ko at nagmartsa patungo sa lugar ni Rurik.

The tower looked less eerie during daybreak but there were occasional grunts and cries echoing from the inside. With careful steps, I trudged the stairs and walked toward the main chamber. Agad akong napatigil sa naabutan ko roon.