Chapter Sixteen

Within the hour they were back aboard Xeiren's airship as it spiraled lazily towards the sleeping city below. The sky was still mostly dark, a pink tinge on the horizon carrying with it the promise of dawn. Now that they had a mode of transportation, Claire just needed to figure out where they needed to go. When she explained to Xeiren why they were in Drifit to begin with, he sent out a dozen runners to scour the city for information.

"Don't worry, if your magician friend was anywhere near Drift within the last few months someone will know about it," Xeiren assured her before the messengers in question all began leaping from the ship.

Claire gasped and rushed to the railing. One by one brightly colored triangles appeared against the brightening sky as hand gliders were deployed by the free falling messengers.

"Quite the spectacle, aren't they?" Xeiren asked, filling the empty space beside her.

Claire nodded, her heart still racing in her chest.

"Thank you, for your help," Claire replied after several moments of silence.

"No reason to thank me, I have my own reasons for offering my services," Xeiren replied as he leaned casually against the ship's railing. Draz scoffed but said nothing prompting his former mentor to smirk.

"How did a nice girl like you end up tangled up with a scoundrel like him, eh?" Xeiren asked.

"It's a long story," Claire said, glancing over at Draz who remained unusually quiet.

"Well, I suspect we'll have some time in the future, perhaps you will regale me with the tale some day," Xeiren said with a chuckle.

"Claire, can I talk to you for a minute... alone?" Draz asked, gritting his teeth.

"I ... well..." Claire looked to Xeiren – she didn't want to be rude to their host. Xeiren smirked and pushed away from the railing.

"Don't worry about me, I've got some things to attend to if we're to depart the city in a timely fashion," Xeiren said as he smoothed his fingers over the delicate fabric of his fine dinner attire. "Please, discuss whatever you need to at your leisure."

With that, Xeiren strolled off without so much as offering a backwards glance.

As soon as he was out of ear shot, Draz stepped in closer and lowered his voice.

"You know it's not too late to turn down his offer," Draz said, looking at Claire. There was a seriousness to his voice that caught her by surprise. Was he really that against traveling with Xeiren?

"I don't understand what the problem is," Claire replied. "How else do you suggest we get to wherever it is we need to go?"

"We can hire someone else," he said.

"With what money?"

Draz scowled and raked his fingers through his disheveled curls.

"Gah, he's just... I don't know how to explain it," Draz said.

"Try."

"Xeiren is dangerous, it's as simple as that. I know him all too well. He is an opportunistic narcissist and he has no loyalties except to himself, look at how quickly he turned on Sevik over money," Draz explained. "I just don't want to see you get hurt because you put your trust in the wrong person."

"Then it's a good thing I have the Great Drazenko by my side, isn't it?" Claire replied, offering Draz a playful smile. When he didn't immediately respond, she proceeded to poke him lightly in the side until he finally relented and offered a small smile.