Chapter Twenty

The upper deck was a bustle of activity with men and women of varying sizes carrying out the daily tasks that kept the ship afloat. They moved about with a practiced ease that made their jobs look effortless, but Claire could tell by the tiny beads of sweat forming on their foreheads or the strain of their muscles that the work was hard. No one seemed overtaxed, however, and there was laughter and jokes shared between them in much the same way a close knit family might poke fun at one another over a meal.

      "I see you finally made up your mind."

      Claire turned to see Xeiren strolling towards her, an easy smile resting on his. The comment prompted Claire to look down at the outfit she had picked from the many boxes he had given her. The plum colored outer robe was light and wispy, its simple construction adding to its appeal. Beneath it she wore a loose gown made of white lace so soft and finely woven she felt like she was wearing a cloud. Several ribbons and ties kept the garment securely in place despite the persistent breeze tugging at the thin layers of fabric.

      "Yeah," Claire replied with a smile.

     "It suits you," he said, reaching out to twirl a decorative ribbon around one of his fingers, "but yet you seem displeased. Do you not like the gifts? I felt obliged to repay you for the trouble I've caused, it would not do if you are unhappy."

      "Oh, it's not that at all, everything was lovely. It just... it feels impractical," Claire replied, offering him a sheepish smile.

      Xeiren laughed.

     "I certainly wouldn't recommend climbing up into the rigging, I don't think that dress will survive," he said, "but if it's our destination you are concerned with, please, don't worry yourself."

      "Walk with me?" He offered her his arm and she looped her through it. "We've got several days before we reach Ninguid, I hope that you will take that time to rest and gather your strength – the mountain is indeed a treacherous place. There is a town at its base that will have everything we need to face its perils."

      "What is so dangerous about it?"

      "Aside from the obvious unpredictable weather and hostile locals, Ninguid is a place of old magic," he explained as they strolled casually across the upper deck. "There are some that even believe it is the origin of all magic and home to the first people of Oria."

      "Who were they? What happened to them?"

      "To be honest, no one knows, there are no records, only evidence in the form of artifacts and the rubble of structures that they left behind, most of which is believed to be buried beneath the snow and glaciers. Then of course there is magic itself. There are scholars who believe that all of Ninguid was once a thriving metropolis and that those capable of using magic now, are the descendents of those who built it," he explained.

      "What do you believe?" Claire asked.

      "I believe that the mountain holds many secrets and it won't be easy to pry them from her icy grasp, certainly not without a fight," Xeiren said, patting her hand lightly with his own. "Whatever, or whoever, it is you're seeking, make sure you do it without losing too much of yourself in the process."

      She was reminded of what Luci had said in the cabin, regarding Xeiren and his past love. Unsure of when she would get another opportunity to ask, she decided to take the chance and do so now.

      "Can I ask you something?" she said, look at him.

      "Certainly," he replied.

      "Is that what happened to you?" she asked, wondering if doing so would bring up painful memories for him.