Chapter Nine

By the time the sun had fully risen in the sky, the trio were underway once more. Claire made no further inquiries into Drift or the disease that ravaged it, and Draz seemed to have returned to his natural state of wit and sarcasm.

          Rollan, however, still seemed troubled.

          Claire was still considering how to approach the subject when Rollan announced they were stopping for the day despite there being a good solid hour of daylight left.

          "Is everything okay?" Claire asked quietly.

          "Yeah," Rollan replied as he pulled the gear for their tent from the back of the sled. "I just feel so out of touch. I was trapped in that form for so long that sometimes this body just feels...unnatural. Like it doesn't belong to me anymore. I forget that twenty five years have passed, that there are people like Draz who lived through the things I only heard about in hushed whispers not meant for my ears."

          "You can't keep beating yourself up," Claire insisted. "What does Elysia say?"

          "Time," Rollan replied with a heavy sigh, "give it time."

          Claire nodded and could only imagine just how frustrating it must have been for him.

          "I'm here," she said at last, "if you ever need to talk. I'm a good listener, or so I've been told."

          "Thank you," Rollan said, offering her a light smile.

          Twilight was settling and they had just finished the evening meal when Draz approached Claire with two long sticks in his hand.

          "Catch," he said, tossing one towards her.

She managed to catch it, but only barely, and fumbled with it for a moment before getting a solid grip. "What's this for?"

          "Drift isn't the magical fairy land it used to be," Draz replied. "It's dangerous, overrun by thieves and worse. There might come a time when me or prince tactless here won't be able to protect you. You need to be able to protect yourself."

          Rollan scowled.

          "With a stick?" Claire asked, struggling to keep her expression serious.

          "Aren't we clever," Draz replied with a smirk. "I would have given you a real blade but I don't relish the idea if having any additional holes poked into my body."

          "Any chance you could do something to take care of the holes you already have? Particularly around the mouth area?" Rollan inquired from his position by the fire. "You know, something to keep your lips from constantly flapping."

          Draz smirked. "How about you take that stick from Claire and shove it up your--"

          "Draz!" Claire interrupted. "Both of you are acting like kids. Now, what exactly are you going to show me?"

------

          "Ow!" Claire protested as the side of the stick whipped against her upper arm for what felt like the hundredth time over the course of an hour. "Do you have to hit so hard?"

          "If that had been a real blade and not a stick, you arm would be lying on the ground," Draz replied, an unexpected serious too his tone. Claire sighed and nodded. "Alright, back to starting position."