Chapter Twenty-Two

It was Draz's laughter that finally broke the silence which had settled after Rollan's unexpected declaration. Claire struggled to make sense of what he had said. Of all the things she had encountered in Oria, of all the things she had experienced up to this point in her life, this was by far the most unbelievable.

         "This is insane," Claire said at last, ignoring Draz who seemed unable to regain his composure. Of all the emotions she should have felt in that moment, anger burned the hottest. "I don't want to rule anything. I can't even make it to work on time!"

         She rose to her feet and looked pointedly at her father. "She's your sister, tell her that she can keep her damn crown and everything that comes with it, I just want Alek back!"

         Feeling she had gotten her point across, Claire started for the door. She had to find Xeiren and explain the change in circumstances.

         "It's not that easy," Valerick called after her, banging his fist on the table.

         Claire paused and turned to face him again. "You've spent the last twenty-five years running away because it was too hard," she said, clenching her hands into tight fists. "I am not going to do the same, not when someone I love is counting on me. If you really want to make it up to me for leaving, and to my mother, you will find a way to help."         

         Valerick started to speak, but the words were cut short when the ship suddenly pitched hard to the right, throwing all of them to the floor. Claire grimaced as fresh pain blossomed in her side but managed to get to her feet without too much effort.

         "What the hell is Xeiren doing?" Draz asked, finally coming back to his senses.

         The entire ship shuddered beneath their feet and they heard the sound of wood creaking and groaning as the ship banked again. Panicked shouts could be heard echoing down the long hallway that ran the length of the airship.

         "We must be under attack," Valerick said, making his way towards the door. "Wait here."

         "Like hell," Draz replied, following after the larger man.

         "Let's go," Claire said to Rollan before hurrying after Draz.

         "Wait- Claire! Maybe we-" Rollan shouted after her. "Damn it..."

         The upper deck was pure chaos, or at least it seemed that way to Claire. As they emerged from below, they could see men and women alike running back and forth, groups of them dragging what appeared to be long, slender cannons into position along the sides of the ship. They were as ornate as the rest of the vessel with dragons carved into their sides, painted gold and adorned with emeralds and rubies for the eyes.

         Xeiren met them at midship, his expression a mixture of excitement and concern.

         "What's happening?" Claire asked. 

         "We're not sure," Xeiren replied. "The cloud cover over Ninguid is thick, but we saw something large and dark coming at us fast so we were forced to use evasive maneuvers to avoid a direct hit. It's been quiet ever since, but we aren't taking any chances."

         He motioned to the cannons.

         "Something happened last night," Claire said. "Alek showed up, but he wasn't himself. He warned me to stop looking for him."

         "I don't suppose you are going to heed that warning?" Xeiren replied, a knowing smile tugging at the corners of his mouth.

         "I told you, he wasn't himself, something is wrong, I won't abandon him, but this isn't your fight," Claire said. "This is probably your last chance to get out of this entire thing in one piece. I wanted to give you that opportunity before it was too late."