Chapter Twenty Six

The sound of wood imploding caused Claire's eyes to pop open in surprise. Before she had a chance to register what was happening, she felt a wave of heat before Alek's weight was suddenly gone and hands were grabbing at her, hauling her to her feet.

     "Are you okay? Did he hurt you? I'm going to kill him."

     It was Draz, his hands gripping her shoulders as his eyes swept her for any sign of injury.

     "I'm fine," she insisted, trying to pull free. "Where is he? Is he okay?"

     "Are you seriously asking about that right now? He was about to plunge a knife into you, Claire!"

     Spotting the unmoving form crumpled in the corner of the room, she felt her heart stop and her struggle to free herself from Draz began anew.

     "Don't you get it yet, that isn't Alek anymore."

     Without thinking, Claire reached up and slapped clean across the face. He was so startled that he released her immediately. She staggered back a step or two before turning and going to Alek who lay unmoving on the floor.

     "Alek?" she choked out as she dragged him into her lap. The acrid aroma of burnt fabric assaulted her senses causing her nose to burn and her eyes to water. "Alek, say something," she begged as she pulled him closer.

     "I'm so sorry..." the words were barely audible, a hoarse, breathy whisper that she might have missed if her face hadn't been pressed so close to his own.

     "What?" she said, drawing back to look down at him. His eyes were closed, his expression blank, and she felt like her pounding heart was going to explode. Had those words been uttered on his last breath?

     No, Claire refused to believe it.

     "Don't you dare," she gasped, tears streaming down her face, "don't you dare die."

     She felt a hand fall to rest on her shoulder. "Claire-"

     "Don't touch me," she growled, slapping Draz's hand away. The immense sorrow weighing down on her was quickly shifting to a burning anger that knew no bounds. "Get out."

     "I don't think–"

     "Get out!"

     She didn't wait to see if he complied but instead turned her full focus on Alek, rubbing at the streaks of blood on his face as her tears splashed down, decorating his pallid skin. "I promised I would save you... you were gone for so long... don't leave me alone again."

     Letting her forehead fall to rest against his own she began to sob, her bodying shaking uncontrollably as she held him tightly in her arms. With each agonizing beat her of heart she willed for all of this to be some horrible dream, begged herself to wake up, prayed for just one more chance.

     So caught up in her sorrow, Claire couldn't have told you when his skin began to feel warm again, or if the twitch of his lashes against her cheek was really the first movement he made. What she could confirm with certainty, however, was the immense rush of joy she felt when his arms suddenly wrapped around her and pulled her in so tightly it was as tho they had become one for the briefest of moments. 

     Drawing back after several moments, Claire found herself staring down into the tired, worn, but very much alive face of her beloved. The color was slowly returning to his skin and the shards of glass were all gone, leaving behind thin cuts that were already in the process of fading.

      "Am I dreaming?" she asked, her voice a hoarse whisper. "How are you... what happened?"

      "If  this is a dream, I'd like to stay in it forever," he replied, hugging her tightly again. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. "It's a lot to explain... but once again I owe you my life."