Chapter Twenty One

Sliding off the edge of the bed, Claire felt as though she were in a dream. She stepped closer, raising the lantern higher to further light the room and illuminate the figure. She felt her heart begin to pound and had to force herself to breathe.

      It was him. 

      Her hand trembled as she set the lantern down on the chest at the foot of the bed before practically flying across the room. She threw her arms around his neck and hugged him as though she feared he might disappear right before her eyes if she didn't do something to keep him there.

      The emotions that welled up inside her were an explosive mixture of joy, relief and anger. She didn't know whether to laugh, cry or yell at him for making her worry so much. In the end she just buried her face against his shoulder and held him tighter as all the fear and anxiety that had been growing like a monster inside her finally broke free.

      It wasn't until she had exhausted herself of tears that she realized Alek hadn't moved. He hadn't wrapped his arms around her, he hadn't held her equally as tight, he hadn't even spoken a single word since she had realized he was there. It wasn't until she loosened her hold to step back that his arms snaked around her and he pulled her back against him.

      "Alek?"

      There was a tremble in her voice that surprised even her.

      "Are you scared?" He asked, his voice low.

      "No," she replied, though even she wasn't sure if she was being entirely honest.

      He chuckled and the sound sent unpleasant shivers dancing up and down the length of her spine.

      Something was wrong.

      "You're a terrible liar, Claire," Alek replied, his hand rising to cup the side of her face. His fingers felt cool, cold almost and she had to resist the urge to draw away.

      "Where have you been, Alek? We've been worried sick," Claire said, doing her best to keep her tone from sounding accusatory. Why was he acting like this?

      "Here and there," he replied, lowering his hand to rest against the curve of her throat. For the first time since the encounter began, Claire met his eyes and felt her heart skip a beat. Gone was the sharp, steel that seemed to soften for only her. Gone was the light and tenacity she had fallen in love with. Instead she was met with cold nothingness.

      "But that isn't important right now."

      Not important? How was it not important? His words didn't make any sense.

      "I don't understand," Claire replied. "We thought you might be hurt somewhere ... or even..." Even now she couldn't bring herself to say the words. Alek smirked and leaned in closer.

      "Dead? I'm so very disappointed in you," he said. "You should know by now that killing me is no easy feat."

      "Then tell me what happened to you," Claire said, anger beginning to burn in the pit of her stomach. She had been so worried, so scared, and here he was acting like it was nothing. Like it didn't matter.

      He let out a bored sigh.

      "If I must... I've had what you might call an awakening, a rebirth," he said, his eyes widening as he stared past her. It seemed to Claire as though he was reliving the moment right then and there. "I've attained power that others have only dreamed of–"

      "You aren't making any sense," Claire snapped, cutting him off. "You sound like a madman. "

      She once again made an attempt to free herself from his hold and his grip only tightened further. As he once again lowered his eyes to meet hers, all she saw reflected in them was pure malice.