Chapter Fifteen

"This is who you're working for?" Draz hissed between gritted teeth. "I knew you were a bastard, but I never thought you'd stoop this low."

"You should know by now, Draz, that all coin is created equal," Xeiren replied with a casual shrug. "Your lack of understanding regarding such a basic concept is the reason you failed as a thief."

Claire looked over and saw flames flickering between Draz's fingers. She reached out to place a placating hand on his forearm. When he turned to meet her gaze she shook her head, attempting to dissuade him from doing anything rash.

"You're late," Xeiren called out. He set his wine glass down on the table and rose to his feet. "I don't appreciate being made to wait."

"I was merely giving you a chance to enjoy the scintillating company," Sevik replied. As he drew closer, Claire's eyes were drawn to the place where she had removed his arm from his body. In its place was a writhing mass of shadows resembling an arm which swung lazily at his side.

Xeiren smirked and strolled towards Sevik whose steady approach had carried him far too close for comfort. "How generous of you," Xeiren replied, "but your tardiness will cost you. An extra ten percent on top of what we already agreed."

Claire felt her heart skip a beat. Xeiren truly intended to hand her over to Sevik for a handful of gold? She glanced at Draz who was regarding the entire situation with a fire blazing in his eyes.

"About that," Sevik said with a casual shrug. "I'm afraid circumstances have changed.

"Changed? I sincerely hope you aren't attempting to cheat me, Master Zukal, it would not be in your best interests to do so I assure you," Xieren replied, his hand dropping casually on his hip. Mere inches away was the hilt of his sword and it would only take a single motion to have it drawn and pointed at any number of important places on Sevik's body.

"You really didn't think I was going to pay you such a heinous amount for such a menial task did you?" Sevik asked with a shake of his head.

Xeiren smirked and Claire heard the hiss of steel as the blade was drawn from its sheath.

Sevik chuckled. "Now, now, no need for such hostilities. As much as I am enjoying your company, I would much rather spend the remainder of my evening with someone far prettier," his eyes met with hers and Claire felt a shiver of apprehension creep down her spine. He extended his hand to her. "Claire, shall we?"

When she didn't immediately move to join him, Sevik frowned.

"You aren't going to make me beg, are you?"

His fingers curled inward and his hand dropped rather suddenly.

Before she could speak, the ground beneath her feet suddenly disappeared. Blackness swirled up in an attempt to engulf her as she felt herself falling. Twisting around she managed to catch the edge of the hole just as Draz grabbed hold of her arms to keep her from falling further.

"Draz," Claire gasped, trying to pull herself out. Every time she thought she had a solid foothold, the ground gave way beneath her feet and she wasn't able to gain any traction. "Get me out--" Without warning something unseen latched around her ankle giving it a hard jerk causing her to cry out as she nearly lost her grip.

"I won't let you go," Draz assured her, his hold on her arms tightening as he pulled back against the shadows determined to drag her into the darkness "I won't."

"Draz your hands," Claire gasped as twin crimson stains began to seep through the cloth wrapped around his palms.

"Don't worry about it," he replied though Claire could tell by his expression that he was in a great deal of pain. She pulled back against whatever was trying to drag her down which only prompted it to jerk at her ankle again. This time Draz slid with it, his knees skirting the edge of the hole.