''You'll be the death of me'' (Aiden P.O.V)

A/N-  There are major spoilers for the Nectar of Immortality in this one. 

"I am afraid that there are no exceptions to the rules. All who pass through my Halls must pay," said Nidra, as the place grew darker. 

Suddenly a loud noise resounded through the Halls. Was that...a yawn? All the surroundings around them began to shake. ''My realm is waking'' said Nidra. It was Kumbakharna, realized Aiden with a jolt. Oh no. ''What do you want from us?'' came Brynne's voice from his right. ''Bee...'' Mini said cautiously, offering pranama. Aiden and the others followed suit, all of them kneeling on the ground. ''Sorry'', mumbled Brynne when she rose, looking slightly shamefaced. ''What can we give you, goddess?'' Mini asked. ''I've got lots of rocks!'' Rudy said enthusiastically. Aiden mentally facepalmed at his cousin's stupidity. The eyes swiveled to him. ''They're very shiny?'' he said. "It is your sleep I want. I need your dreams to build the borders of my world. You must give them to me if you wish to pass. Even demigods grant me what I am owed." Aiden remembered Urmila, and how she had sacrificed herself for her husband. A prickly feeling spread through Aiden's body.

 Was what he dreaded most going to come true?

''I can't do that',' Brynne said anxiously. "I have already selected one among you. I want dreams rich with wonder, tinged with sadness, and flavored with hope that will sweeten my land like the rarest of nectars," said Nidra. Even though he tried to convince himself that it wouldn't be Aru, he knew somewhere deep inside himself.

She was going to be chosen by Nidra.

The eyes focused on Aru, confirming Aiden's fears. ''You, child. I can feel your exhaustion'' the voice said. ''Let me take it from you''. This was it. This was the moment Aiden had had nightmares about for months, yet he realized something.

He wasn't scared.

''No. Not her,'' he said, surprising himself by how firm his voice was. Aru whirled around, shock registering on her face as she realized what he was doing. ''Take me instead''.

''What? No way. I can't let you do that'' Aru protested. Aiden looked over at Brynne. She was the only one he'd confided his fears too. A few moments passed, and comprehension seemed to dawn on Aru's face. She turned to face him again, her face a mixture of distress and sadness. But he wasn't looking at her. He couldn't. ''Do you understand what you are doing?'' Nidra asked. He didn't hesitate. ''Yes''. "You understand that my realm is its own form of death." The girl you love will be the death of you. ''I know'' he said. ''You have always known, haven't you?'' Nidra asked.

 Aiden didn't say anything, but it was true. He'd always known it would come to this, ever since he'd heard the prophecy. "You understand that you will not be returned to the waking world if there is no world to wake up to." the voice said. ''I understand'' he said. ''What does that mean? He's going to die?'' Brynne asked frantically. Everyone looked horrified, even Loose Teeth and BB looked nervous. "What is the point of returning him if there is no chance of a world worth returning to?" asked Nidra. "Whether he dies or not depends on you, daughters of the gods, for it is your world to save, is it not? And if he does die, that in itself will be a blessing. To die in one's sleep is the hope of all mortals. You should be thanking me." And that was when Aiden knew why he wasn't scared. Because he fully trusted Aru, she would save them all and win the war. Kumbakharna stirred again, and Aiden knew he needed to make his decision. For the first time in his life, he had no trouble picking. He knew exactly what he needed to do. "You are running out of time. Make your choice now or be thrown from my world." Nidra said. ''I accept''. He said. His words echoed through the halls, and Aiden instantly knew that his offer had been accepted.

''Aru,'' he said, looking at her at last. She looked up at him, tears falling down her face as she said desperately, ''I can't let you do this!''. He smiled sadly. ''It wasn't your choice to make though. It was mine. You'll find a way out of this, I know it. Watch BB for me, okay?'' he said, setting his backpack down. BB chirped at him, settling down into the bag. ''What if I can't?'' Aru asked. ''You will. You always do'', Aiden said with conviction. There was nothing he believed more. The light turned brighter, and Aiden knew that he would be taken away in a few moments.

There was one last thing he needed Aru to know. He reached out, placing his hand on her face, drawing her closer. ''I lied, Aru. I don't regret anything'', he said. ''Wait-'' Aru tried to say, but he stopped her.

With a kiss. 

This wasn't the end. Someday, they would have a thousand more, without prophecies riddling them, without wars on the horizon. He would have a million more moments to tell her all the things he couldn't, all the things he wished he'd told her before.

Someday, he'd tell her how much he loved her.

But today wasn't the day, and once he opened his eyes, all he found was darkness, the ghost of Aru's warmth leaving his body, as he stood on the floor of the realm of sleep. 

A/N- Is it just me, or does the Aru Shah fandom feel dry lately? I miss the way it used to be. I kind of hoped that with the release of NOI, the fandom would revive but I don't know anymore what's going to happen.