''All By Mah-Selllf'' (Aiden's P.O.V)

A/N- This chapter was a bonus part from the song of death, here's the link if you haven't read it before- https://www.readriordan.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Aru-Shah-Halloween.pdf or you can just look up 'Aru Shah All By Mah-Sellf'and it'll show up! 

It was the dreaded Halloween dance. Aiden had come up with an ingenious way to avoid wearing a costume. He wore his normal clothes, but said he was 'Incognito Peter Parker'. He'd volunteered to be the official photographer so he didn't have to dance. But if he had to dance with Aru that was an entirely different matter...

Aiden and Aru were supposed to walk to the dance together, so he walked across the street and rang her bell. Aru opened the door, wearing a horrendous green cape and puffy purple skirt. He resisted the urge to smirk. ''Why are you dressed like ginger Dracula?'' he asked. Aru scoffed. "I'm one of the Sanderson sisters—Winnie. You know, from Hocus Pocus? Mini is going as Sarah, and Brynne is dressing up as Mary." He blinked incredulously at her. She glared at him. ''"Why didn't you dress up? It's Halloween," she said. Aiden shrugged, lifting his camera. ''I am dressed up. I'm incognito Peter Parker''. He had to capture Aru's horrible costume to embarrass her. ''That's the laziest thing I've ever heard'' she said. ''Half of efficiency is laziness, Shah. So, ready to go?'' he asked. ''No'' she said. ''Too bad''. She looked at his camera, finally understanding what he doing. ''Wait!'' she protested. He cut in. ''Smile!"' he said, and Shadowfax flashed, taking a picture of her.

After they'd taken in all the decorations, and Aiden had snapped a few pictures, Brynne and Mini showed up wearing totally different costumes. They had a little argument about it, but at least Brynne had recognized what he was supposed to be. ''Incognito Peter Parker?'' she asked, grinning at him. He high-fived her, glaring at Aru. "Relax, Shah. If anyone laughs at your costume, I'll punch them," said Brynne, draping her arm around Aru's shoulder. "Now let's get to the important part of this party: food spread." A part of Aiden was relieved they weren't dancing but he also kind of wanted to...

''We're not dancing?'' he asked. "With who?" Aru asked. "Like, all of us? As friends? Or, like, one at a time? Slow or fast songs? Or—" she stopped when the others gave her a look. ''You know what? I hate dancing'' she said. Oh. Was that disappointment he felt?

''Okay...? Well, if you change your mind, that's where I'll be''. Please change your mind. He tapped his camera. "I told Hanuman I'd get some shots for the Council's newsletter. Mini, wanna come?'' he asked. She nodded. "Fine, but I don't like dancing, or being within coughing distance of people''. ''Noted'' Aiden said.

They walked around, Aiden clicking pictures here and there and somewhere in the middle Mini left, saying something about getting punch. He shrugged, looking around for more photo opportunities when a slow song started playing out of the speakers. His heart sped up, looking around hopefully for Aru. What was going on with him?

He was just about to give up when he spotted her moving around on the dance floor.

Almost like she was looking for someone.

''Shah?'' he called, surprised. Hope ignited in his chest again, and he felt like grinning, for some reason. ''I thought you didn't dance?'' he asked when she turned around. ''Yeah, well, you...'' she trailed off. He raised his eyebrows. ''You looked like you needed rescuing'' she finished. He laughed. He felt...light. ''Fair enough. Want to dance? My mom taught me how to waltz, none of that side-to-side sway thing'' he asked, offering his hand to her. She hesitated, and his skin prickled anxiously. ''I can't waltz'' she said finally. ''I'll show you'' he said. Aru reached out, putting her hand in his. His hand heated up, red rising to his cheeks. And then...

The music changed.

Disappointment swirled through him. He'd been looking forward to dancing with her, for reasons he couldn't explain. Her face fell too, and he got the feeling that maybe she'd been looking forward to it too.

''Oh well,'' she said, pulling her hand away, the sudden surge of cold rushing into his palm. ''Yeah,'' he said. But there'd be other dances, and maybe another chance at waltzing with her. He smiled at her. ''Another time?'' he asked. Aru smiled back, the light washing over her face.

''I'd like that'', she said.

A/N- This definitely isn't my best work. I haven't really been super inspired lately to write, so it might take me more time than usual to write anything new on here. Thank you very very much for 3.9k reads. It means a lot.