material girl.

"Shan where's you?"

"Shan where's you?"

Oakley kicked the door shut behind him with the heel of his left foot with his hands being occupied by a stack of luxury branded boxes and a jug of milk. This was routine, walking through the front door each day with another flashy bag or pair of red bottom heels. Occasionally his loot would include a pair of Jordan's for himself or a new button-up he'd bought in Flannels thought it was a rare thing. The hard-earned money he held an abundance of never was spent on himself but it never really crossed his mind why. His love language appeared to be gifting, and his girlfriend happened to like receiving gifts.

"Kitchen"

After toeing his Air Forces off by the front door the man walked slowly through to their kitchen, being extra careful not to drop the packages in his arms. This one was special and highly delicate. And the milk too; he didn't want to spill that on the freshly laid carpets. He gently placed the stack onto the island before turning to put the milk in the fridge behind him, turning around again to find Shanel already rooting through the presents.
Today he'd popped into Cartier with the intention of buying a new pair of sunglasses as he seemed to have lost his original pair on his travels in America but instead walked out with a necklace for his darling and the earrings to match. Along with a bag of course from Selfridges, that was a planned purchase.

"Awe thanks babe"

The girl dangled the pair of earrings in front of her face as she examined them carefully. She'd noticed he always had good taste in feminine jewellery and he'd very rarely miss the mark; this time was no different. Yellow gold and decorated with these tiny white diamonds, quite the fortune though. Oakley wouldn't normally fork out this much on her gifts but with their first anniversary coming up he thought he may as well because what harm could it do? After placing them back in the iconic velvet case Shanel moved to hug her boyfriend out of gratitude. The hug was stiff and rigid, feeling unnatural being in each other's arms like this. Nothing new. She was a no-strings-rebound gone wrong, it was unsurprising that things felt like this even now, the man hated it.

"Anything for you darlin"

Shanel cringed and she had to force herself to not have a physical reaction to the pet name that had developed months beforehand. She'd never have the heart to tell him how much she despised being called such a thing because she know he laced it with love and even the mention of the 'L word' was a big step for him. This was something she had to let play out until he eventually forgot, she hoped it would be soon too. The girl looked up to see Oakley still with that stupid toothy grin plastered across his face, the look only she could induce in him and it just made her sad really. Such a shame that she was who he learned to love.

"How's your sesh with Amanda this morning?"

Oakley was rather startled by the question, pulling a face and glancing up from the mug of tea in his hands to cast a confused gaze at his girlfriend. She never really bothered to ask about any of his treatments, he kind of just told her anyways because he'd got in the habit of expressing his feelings as of when since he learned keeping them to himself never turned out well. Shanel would sit and listen as she scrolled through social media or flicked through a magazine and let him blabber out a mess of words that never truly made sense but expressed his feelings one way or another, however, she had never taken an interest in it before. Emotions weren't really her thing. Nonetheless, he took to her answering her as if she'd never actually asked.

"It were okay, she say that I don't have to go as much no more because I done good or suttin"

And there it was again, that idiotic grin slapped across his face displaying his pride for himself and his progress. Shanel's expression remained muted and definitely did not present any form of pride for her boyfriend despite
how far he'd come since they first met. Nothing new. He'd gotten used to not receiving acts of love and pride from her but it still hurt, especially when it came down to these things. Still, he kept the smile on his face, beaming with joy for himself because what more could he need than himself aye?