Chapter 2

Hotel
May 13th
1500 Hours

I sat down in one of the chairs in the hotel lobby.
I fidgeted with the mask covering half my face.
Since the prince and I look so similar, we can't afford anyone seeing my face.
I also wore a white baseball cap to conceal my bright red hair.
"Alrighty! Thank you so much!"
Agent Keys walked over to me with the room card.
"Let's go, Duncan!" He beckoned me to the stairs with my fake name.
We were registering to the hotel by the names Nathan and Duncan Loane. An uncle and his nephew on vacation.
He guided me to the room and opened the door.
The first thing I did was collapse on the bed after the rough plane ride.
"Sorry, we can't afford to rest long. The CIA is planning to take in Prince Quincy Valent tonight, so you need to be ready at a moment's notice!" Agent Keys opened his suitcase.
I internally groaned. I was hoping to at least take a nap first...
After five minutes of pondering whether or not he'd notice if I took a nap, I eventually decided to just get it over with.
"Oh good! You're ready! Take a seat while I get the notes I prepared!" Agent Keys rushed to his suitcase and took out a notepad. "You can never be too prepared!"
"Okay first lesson... If you want to seem like a prince, you need to speak like one! So that means no slang, and no casualty... So, for the first exercise, imagine I'm a butler. And you need me to get your crown from the garden. How do you ask?" Agent Keys prompted.
"Uh... Hey, can you go get my crown from the garden please?" I said, not knowing what else to say.
"That's exactly what we need to avoid! When speaking to anyone other than friends, you need to be formal! Now try again."
I cleared my throat, trying to channel my "talking to the teacher" voice.
"Do you mind getting my crown from the Royal Garden?" I recited.
"Better! Just keep doing whatever you just did! Now, onto the next prompt..."
This went on for a while, until it was time for lunch.
I could barely choke down the chicken tenders Agent Keys ordered, my mouth was so dry.
"Do you need some water?" He raised an eyebrow.
I nodded.
He passed me a cup of water and I gulped it down.
After we finished our lunch it was more of the same...
Vocal and dialect exercises, studying manners, and even the history of the kingdom.
It felt like I was still at school... It felt like my head was filled with dust...
But I took every piece of advice and notes to memory.
And I felt the slightest bit ready for the monumental task in front of me.
"As soon as my watch starts to beep, the CIA has started to take in the prince. It's up to us to get into the castle before anyone notices him gone... Now let's go, they could start any minute!"
Agent Keys and I shut and locked the door and walked out of the hotel.
"We can't take a car, that would be too conspicuous... We need to walk there!" He said.
I internally groaned once again.
"Don't worry, it's not far! Now come on, we can't waste a minute!" He grabbed my hand and we started running to the Valent Castle, where my mission (and any possible danger) was waiting for me.