Chapter 9

Murray's Hideout
May 15th
1600 Hours

I stopped struggling.
I stared at Murray in disbelief.
He likes me...? Like, "like-likes" me?
No...that can't be right...
He must be lying! Yeah, that's the only explanation!
"You're just trying to let my guard down!" I took this opportunity to flip Murray over and pin his shoulders to the floor.
"No, Ben... Trust me... this is no lie..." He seemed to calm down.
I raised my eyebrow, skeptical.
"I've had a thing for you since Day One! How have you not noticed?!" He cried in indignation.
"Well I'm sorry if you don't strike me as the kind of person to crush on a guy!" I huffed.
"Okay, I know it seems far-fetched, but hear me out!" Murray put his hands up.
"What about Zoe? I thought she was the love of your life or something..." I rolled my eyes.
"I said hear me out!"
"Listen, I'm over Zoe. It's clear that wasn't gonna go anywhere, so I've moved on!" He explained.
"Besides, Warren already has a crush on her, so that would be awkward." He shrugged.
"Okay, I can get past that fact that you're over Zoe. But I don't buy that you like guys! And me of all people!" I kept my grip firm.
"Then I'll prove it."
"Wait, Wha-"
But before I could say any more, Murray grabbed the collar of my shirt and pulled me into a kiss.
I think my face could rival a tomato for how red it was...
And worst part? I liked it!
Murray pulled away, slowly getting up.
"So? Is that proof enough for ya?"
He held a hand out.
I absently nodded. I took his hand and got up.
He said nothing, staring at my lips.
"You...wanna continue...?" I awkwardly asked.
Murray didn't even answer, he just went right for the kiss. He pulled me in deeper this time, grasping at my hips for leverage.
I draped my arms around his shoulders.
He sat me down on the edge of the sink to better match his height.
It wasn't long until that kiss turned into a full make out scene straight out of a romcom.
"Is...this an American custom...? If it is, I am very concerned..."
We both pulled away and we were immediately met with Quincy nervously standing at the doorway.
"So, are we still escaping, or...?" He asked.
"We're kind of having a moment here..." Murray said.
"Right right, sorry..."
"But no, Ben's staying. You can still go back though." He shooed away the prince.
Quincy sighed in defeat.
"Well, I hope we meet again one day..." He smiled at me.
I smiled back and nodded.
Then he left without another word.
That's when the full gravity of the situation hit me like a bus.
I just made out with my greatest arch-nemesis.
What a way to discover you're bisexual...
"Anyways, shall we?" Murray made a smug, flirtatious smile.
Ah, screw it. Besides, it's better than endlessly hoping for Erica to like me, so might as well give up while I'm ahead.
I pulled Murray back into the kiss, which he enthusiastically continued.
And so, we spent the next five minutes making out in the bathroom like a couple of horny teenagers. Which is a fairly accurate description...
But a lingering question hung over our heads.
What happens now?
We eventually stopped our kiss and walked into the kitchen, grabbing a snack.
"So...I guess killing you is off the table, huh?" Murray joked.
I awkwardly laughed, still dreading the question that needed to be answered.
"Okay, we're both thinking it... What happens now? I mean, I can't just let you leave... And we both know the CIA won't pay shit for ransom..." Murray rolled his eyes.
I tapped my fingers on the table, trying to think of an answer.
I could only come up with one solution.
"Well, maybe I could...take you up on your offer to join you..." I shrugged.
Murray looked back at me with surprise. "You sure? You seemed pretty adamant about justice and not being a criminal and stuff..."
"You know what? Fuck it. The CIA hasn't done shit for me since I joined so might as well." I shrugged.
He laughed. "Damn straight!"
"But I have a few conditions."
Murray shrugged. "Lemme hear it."
"First of all, no killing people. Or causing mass damage."
Murray rolled his eyes dramatically.
"Oh Ben, when have I ever done that?"
"Second, no stabbing me in the back! I've already had my fair share of double crosses..." I sighed, again being reminded of Erica.
"Hey, don't worry."
He sat down beside me and pulled me close.
"I promise, as long as we're a team, I will never take advantage of you..." He rubbed my shoulder.
I turned to stare into his bright green eyes filled with sincerity.
"Thanks..." I leaned on his shoulder.
"Also, no more making ramen in the damn coffee pot!"
Murray sighed.
"That's fair."