Chapter 7

A Cliff
May 14th
2130 Hours

I looked at Erica with fear.
It was at that moment she knew.
She screwed up.
"No, wait-!"
"Too late!" Murray grinned and grabbed Prince Quincy's arm.
"Now give back Ben!" Erica demanded.
"No." Murray made a smug grin.
"But that was the deal!" Erica growled.
"Actually the deal was, if you gave me the prince, Ben lives. I never said anything about giving him back..."
I hated how proud of himself Murray looked...
"You bastard!"
Erica started to dash over to Murray in rage, but someone held her back.
Mike Brezeniski, my best friend.
"Woah, Erica! Calm down!"
"Calm down?! Murray has Ben and you want me to calm down?!" Erica shouted.
"He can still kill him, remember?!" Mike shouted back.
"He's right! I can just kick him off this cliff and bye bye, Ben Ripley!" Murray laughed.
Erica heaved a deep sigh and stood down.
"Nice doin' business with ya! Later, haters!" Murray grabbed me by the chains and the prince by the arm.
He dragged us down to a speed boat and tossed us in.
He hopped into the driver's seat.
With a few tries, Murray started the engine and we sped off.
I looked at Prince Quincy and we made eye contact.
"So... How exactly did you get mixed up in this...?" He asked awkwardly.
"I had to impersonate you to keep Murray from joining up with your kingdom." I replied casually.
"Well, if it's any consolation, if I knew he was a criminal, I wouldn't have considered it..." He twiddled his thumbs.
"So how's mother? Is she well?" He asked.
"Yeah, she's fine. She threw a ball so that you could hook up with someone. That's how this weasel kidnapped me." I shot a glare at Murray.
"Okay, now that is just mean!" Murray huffed.
"Oh, mother..." Prince Quincy sighed.
"I love her dearly, but I'm not ready to choose a partner yet..." He said.
"Yeah, but she means well... She reminds me of my mom."
"I know how she feels... She just wants me to be happy... Especially after dad died..." Prince Quincy looked down at his feet.
I leaned in, wanting to know more.
"My father died a few years ago... and since then mother has been so busy taking care of the kingdom... She must be really lonely..."
Tears pricked the two boy's eyes.
"I'm sorry about your dad... I would pat your shoulder comfortingly, but..." I motioned to my chains.
Prince Quincy smiled and laughed.
"You're surprisingly charming... I didn't expect to make a friend today, but here we are...!" He joked.
I laughed along with him. "We should hang out sometime, after all this is over..." I suggested.
"Yeah, it would be nice to have someone to talk to..." Prince Quincy shrugged.
Murray clapped with a smirk on his face.
"10/10 performance, guys! I think I teared up! But, news flash Ben, you're not going anywhere!" He poked my chain-clad chest.
"With my charisma and your brains, we'll be unstoppable! And as for you, Prince, you need to go back to your kingdom..." Murray crossed his arms.
I grit my teeth.
The last I wanna do is let this bastard win.
So, I did the most logical thing I could think of.
I tossed myself off the boat.
"Ben!"
Murray rushed over to the edge of the boat and jumped into the water.
"Well, this is it... I had a good run..."
Soon everything went black as I closed my eyes and succumbed to the cold seawater around me.
But something happened.
Contrary to my assumptions, I woke up.
I coughed and gagged as what felt like gallons of water was emptying from my lungs.
"Ben! Oh thank goodness I got you in time!"
Before I could catch my breath, someone ran up and hugged me tight.
Murray Hill.
"Murray...? Why...why did you save me?" I rasped, my throat scratchy with salt.
"Because I don't want you to die, you asshole!" He cried.
I sat there in complete disbelief.
Is this real? Is this a dream?
Because in no real situation would Murray rescue me like that.
Especially since he's been trying to kill me on every mission I've been on!
"Murray, do you need something from me?"
Murray let go and looked at me with an expression I never thought I'd see on his face.
Regret.
"Okay listen, I know it seems suspicious because I'm a cheating snake, bla bla bla... But at least listen to what I have to say..."
Murray sat down next to me.
"I really do like you, Ben... I just want us on the same side for once..."
I couldn't help but let my guard down. Murray Hill...showing remorse?
I'd sooner see a white whale, but here we are.
He clasped my hands.
"So...do you...wanna give this a try? I mean, you don't have much choice, but..." He shrugged.
I sighed.
"I need to think..."
Murray let go of my hands and walked out of the room.
I was disoriented, my thoughts were jumbled, and all I could do was sit there, dumbfounded.
Then there was a knock at my door.
It was Quincy nervously peeking into the room.
"Hey, Ben...! I have some good news...!" He made a slight smile.
"Murray is taking me back to my kingdom tomorrow! Maybe I can sneak you back too!"
That simple statement gave me a small ray of hope.
"Yeah! You're right!" I smiled back.
Now reinvigorated, I anxiously awaited the next day.