Chapter 4

Castle Valent
May 14th
700 Hours

I yawned and sat up in the prince's bed.
It's definitely an upgrade compared to the other crappy hotels I got put up in...
I got up and walked to the wardrobe.
I was wondering where the butlers and maids were when I remembered something Agent Keys said.
"I assume that, because he's a teenager now, he'll want more independence. So, that might mean that he does more himself instead of relying on servants."
I picked out what was hopefully was a regular day outfit.
I hope my research was right, otherwise that's a few hours of my life wasted...
After putting together the outfit, I stepped out of the room.
"Oh, your Royal Highness! Forgive me, but I didn't think you'd be awake at such an early hour!" A butler stopped in surprise.
Oops.
I guess being a prince and all, he doesn't have to get up early... Or want to...
"It's alright. I just had a bit of trouble going back to sleep." I made up an excuse, hoping it was enough.
"Understood, sir. I apologize." The butler bowed away.
I need to be more careful... I don't want to anyone to suspect me of being a fake...
I tried my best to find a quiet space to plan my next move.
Which was pretty hard considering how big this place is! Seriously, they have three separate kitchens on three separate floors! No wonder Murray wants to join up with them!
But, I eventually found my way to the Royal Garden.
I sat down on the bench, letting my mind wander.
"What should I do...? If Murray is at the ball, he'll see right through me... I might be able to fool everyone else...
But not him. He knows me too well."
Before I knew it, my mind had spun a plan for tonight.
My words couldn't catch up with my thoughts, so I ended up just mumbling gibberish 90% of the time.
I'm pretty sure I scared away the gardeners...
"Excuse me, your Royal Highness?"
I snapped out of my trance and looked at the butler standing next to me.
"Yes?"
"Your mother wants you for lunch to discuss tonight's ball." He said.
"Alright, I'm coming." I got up from my seat and followed the butler as he escorted me to the dining room.
As soon as I got in, I saw an older-looking woman, who I assumed to be the queen, sitting in one of the seats, plate empty.
"Ah, my dear Quincy! Come here!" She beckoned me with a warm smile.
I sat down next to her.
I had to restrain myself from sitting up straight and calling her Your Majesty. Everything about her appearance was collected and regal.
Her crown was straight upon her head, her dress without any wrinkles, and her makeup perfect.
"Now, as you undoubtedly know, this ball isn't just for fun..."
She lifted the top off of the platter and scooped some food onto her plate.
"This is perfect opportunity to meet your future wife or husband!"
"So, I want you to socialize, mingle, get to know someone! Don't just stay in your room this time, please? Running a kingdom is a job best suited for two, you know..." The Queen put a hand on my shoulder.
"Okay, mom... I'll try my best...!" I cracked a small smile.
"Oh, thank you, Quincy! I cannot wait to see who you choose!"
She pecked my forehead with a kiss.
"Love you, Quincy dear! I must get going! Duty calls!" She finished her food and waved goodbye.
I couldn't help but smile.
She reminded me a lot of my mom...
I hope I get to see her soon.
I ate my fill from the platter and a maid came in and took the rest.
"You know what? I'm living the life of a prince for Pete's sake! I should enjoy it while it lasts!"
I got up from my chair and started walking around the castle, taking in all there was to see.
Did you know that the castle is made partly of silver? I didn't either!
I was in the garden, admiring all the colorful hydrangeas and bellflowers when I referenced my inner clock.
"Holy geez, it's 6:45!? The party starts at 7!"
I rushed back to the bedroom desperately.
I quickly applied some makeup to hide my freckled complexion and I scrambled to find a good outfit.
"Dang it, Quincy! Why do you have so many clothes?" I silently cursed.
"Excuse my intrusion, but does your Royal Highness need some assistance with choosing an outfit?" A butler opened the door.
I sighed.
"Yes please..."
And finally, with help, I put on an elegant black and yellow coat with a white ruffled shirt underneath.

(The coat he wore:)

At exactly 7:00, I strolled out into the throne room, which was filled with people

I mad eye contact with the Queen and she waved me over.
"Now, remember what I said, Quincy?" She whispered.
"Yep! Don't worry!" I gave her a reassuring smile.
She smiled back and shooed me away to go mingle.
I made some conversation with some of the guests my age.
To the Queen, it seemed like I was getting to know them.
But my real mission was looking for Murray.
No matter how hard I looked, I couldn't see his jet black hair or smug grin anywhere in the crowd.
Soon, food was served. I grabbed a plate of food and went back to the Queen.
"What's the matter, Quincy dear? No luck?" She sympathetically rubbed my shoulder.
I shook my head.
"Don't worry, you'll find that special someone... I promise..."
She pecked my cheek.
While I was looking down at my shoes in defeat, someone cleared their throat in front of me.
"Your Majesty?"
The voice struck a chord of recognition in my brain.
"Oh, that would be me!" She answered pleasantly.
"So nice to finally meet you! And this is Prince Quincy, I assume?"
I looked up at the person in front of me.
Murray Hill.