Late nights, car rides and truths

I stare at him, dumbfounded. I either already died and this was my heaven, or I'm dreaming.

Because there is no way Caleb had climbed up the tree outside my window in the pouring rain late at night to ask me if I 'wanted to go for a ride'.

I blame the books I've read for where my mind immediately went to when he asked me that. A faint blush creeps up on my cheeks at the thought.

"Do you think you could give me an answer this year please Carrots?" Caleb questions sarcastically. I narrow my eyes at him and fold my arms. If I wanted to push him away, I had to act cold.

"No" I say simply.

"No you can't give me an answer this year, or no you won't care for a ride?".

"No I won't care for a ride". I lay back down on my pillow, and tug the bedcovers back up to my shoulders.

I should have known better.

Suddenly, my warm duvet is ripped away from me, exposing me to the cold wind coming from the open window. The action reminds me a lot of the days I had my mom wake me up in the mornings for school.

I sit up again, wrap my arms around myself to preserve a tiny bit of warmth and glare at Caleb. He grins back at me, unfazed, holding the corner of my duvet.

"You asked me if I wanted to go for a ride, and my answer is no" I say snippily. Caleb sets the stolen duvet back onto my bed, Far enough that I can't reach.

"And I forgot to mention that respectfully, you have no choice but to say yes." He scans my outfit. a thin long-sleeved shirt, and Christmas tree themed Pj pants.

Who gives a shit whether it's Christmas or not, these pants are comfortable as hell.

"Put on a hoodie or something, it's cold out. Then hurry up, get outside, and get your stubborn ass in my car" Caleb instructs, leaving no room to argue with his tone as he walks to my closet and opens it. he picks up a grey hoodie, and tosses it at me, purposefully throwing it on my head.

"You've got 5 minutes Carrots!" He says lightly, walking out of my bedroom. But I can hear the threat behind his words as loudly as if he'd spoken them out loud: 'You've got 5 minutes to get to my car or I'll drag you to it myself'.

I bit my lip, debating what to do. I have to keep distancing myself from him and I can't do that if I go on some mystery car trip with him. But Caleb can be determined when he wants to be. And I can see that he'll drag me out of bed by my feet if I don't move. And my parents won't be back till at least midnight...

I groan in frustration and put my hoodie on, sliding out of bed. I eye my rows of shoes and decide to go for my Donald Duck slippers cause, why the fuck not.

Caleb is already sitting in his matte black jeep wrangler when I lock the front door. It's still raining, so I run to his car, regretting that I decided to wear white fur slippers.

He notices me, and opens the passenger side door for me from the inside before I can. I climb in, and sit back against the leathered chair, immediately catching Caleb's familiar scent of vanilla and coffee.

He switches on the ignition key, and the car's engines are brought to life. He doesn't say anything as he drives us out of the nice neighbourhood that I live in so I stay quiet too. I prop my elbow against the car's window and look out into the night. there are only a few other vehicles driving at this time.

We soon reach a mostly deserted road with a abundance of trees on each side. I don't even bother asking him where we were going. I mean, doesn't really matter if he's going to kill me. I'm dying anyway.