Beaches, Dolphins, and Piña coladas

"This isn't very good for the environment though is it Val darling?" Caleb asks teasingly,
Nudging her with his foot from across her seat on the sofa. She waves one hand dismissively, while her eyes stay intently reading the vogue magazine that was lying around.

"It's just this once. Since we're flying out to our very first destination on Lily's list, I figured we'd leave America in style. Besides, I like spoiling you guys."

"Not ever gonna complain about that" Damien says, eyes closed and blissfully smiling while lying down with his arms crossed behind his head on the sofa Caleb is sitting in, one leg thrown over his.

"I on the other hand, feel bad. Are you absolutely sure it wasn't any hassle to get us your family's private jet?" I query from where I'm sitting with my head resting on Keisha's shoulder, eyes moving from the flat screen TV to Val.

"Corazón, for the thousandth time, I promise it was no hassle whatsoever to get this jet for us. And anyway, now you have more money to spend since I wouldn't let you buy plane tickets" She reassures me.

I nod in relief, and my eyes flit back to the screen, where Keisha and I were watching the Netflix show 'Never have I ever '. Lee and Ethan sat across from each other on the leather seats, playing monopoly while Diego just scrolled on his phone.

"Damien, you did remember to book our hotel rooms right?" Ethan asks, looking up from his cards.

Damien's eyes widen, and he visibly gulps before chuckling nervously. "Um... yeah, about that..."

"I'll go ahead and answer that for him. No" Lee says, not sounding even a bit surprised. We all collectively groan except for Lee and Keisha, who waves her hands in a calming gesture.

"Not to worry people, your girl has the hotel rooms booked, and our stay covered." She tells us. As we let out a sigh of relief, she raises her eyebrows. "You can't seriously have expected me to let my dumbass twin take care of situations regarding our shelter, and other needed necessities."

"We practically share the same DNA, you're insulting yourself too" Damien grumbles. Keisha rolls her eyes.

"Yet somehow, you ended up with all the worst traits."

"If you're jealous that I'm the sibling who got the fat ass through genetics just say so-"

"You did not just call me flat you little bitch-"

I tune out of their bickering, and go back to watching the episode playing.  As Devi and her mom are arguing on the screen, my mind drifts off to this morning.

*Flashback*

"You'll be back in 3 days right?" My mom checks with me again as we stand outside my house.

I slam the trunk shut, and turn to her. "Yes, 3 days" I clarify. She nods, and I note how exhausted she looks. Her hair is down, and she has shadows underneath her eyes.

I step forward, and wrap her into a hug. She stiffens for a moment, before letting herself hug me back. She rests her cheek on the top of my head, and I hear her let out a soft sigh.

Dad Beeps the car horn. "C'mon sweetheart, you'll miss your flight"  He calls out.

"For goodness sake" Mom mutters in annoyance, before stepping back and letting me go.

I get into the passenger seat and close the door before rolling the window down halfway. Mom's eyes scan my face, a flicker of an emotion that would break my heart if I tried to decipher it, moving through them.

"Goodbye Lily" She almost whispers.

I note how solemn and uncertain her tone sounds. And with a pang, I realise this is her preparing herself in case I don't make it back.