Chapter 1| River

As per usual, I'm up long before my little brother. He's such a little sleepyhead. I take a sip of my delicious coffee, as I converse with my father.

"So buddy, you excited to start your junior year today?"

I make a face. "We still have all of this year plus all of senior year, imagine all the inconvenient circumstances that could arise within the set time father? I can hardly be excited going into an unknown unforeseen future."

Father blinks, then smiles. "You know you got your smarts from me right?"

"That could hardly be possible. Your intelligence is rarely ever passed down through the generations. Sorry to disappoint father."

I hear mother laugh from the kitchen. "River, don't apologize for roasting your father in your own little special way. He needs to be humbled."

Father turns around I'm his chair and looks into the kitchen. "Glad to hear how much you love me sugarplum."

"Father, you need to work on your sarcasm."I state standing up.

I usually don't talk or act like this around children, I just like making the adults impressed and even jealous sometimes. I probably do get that from my father, but I'll never tell him the information. His ego is big enough already.

"River, can you go wake up Wyatt? Oh and Keely? She's starting high school today!" Mother asks me, yet left no room for argument.

I shrug and walk up the stairs to my twin's bedroom. I open his door, seeing him snoring in such a cute little way.

I jump on him, and start slapping his back. "Wyatt! Get up! Get up! Get up!" I yell in his ear, causing him to instantly wake up.

"Get off me you old hag!" Wyatt yells, but then rolls over meaning I fell off his back and onto the floor. Being vulnerable for that short amount of time gave Wyatt the chance to jump onto me, and pin me down to the floor as he laughs.

"What do you find so amusing brother?" I ask cocking my head. We both know I'd win in a fight between us two, Wyatt isn't nearly as strong as I.

"Oh can it grandpa. We both know you only act all smart around the adults."

I purse my lips. "Correct I assume. Now get the hell off me before I beat that sad little butt you have."

"Ah ah ah, River. Hell is a bad word in this house, heck is a more appropriate thing to say."

"Screw off." I grumble.

"Make me grandpa." Wyatt says grinning, so I grin back and grab his wrists with the limited space I have to move my hands that are pinned down, and roll over pinning Wyatt under me.

"What were you saying?" I say grinning.

"That I'm totally going to beat your ass!" Wyatt says struggling under me.

"Ah ah ah, Wyatt. Ass is a bad word in this house, butt is a more appropriate thing to say." I say mimicking Wyatt from earlier.

"You-! I'm so going to kill you!" Wyatt yells trying to get free again.

"Brother, struggling only makes things easier for me." I say shaking my head.

"Dudes, dad's coming up because he heard y'all being pushed around from downstairs." Our younger brother Noah says, walking past Wyatt's open bedroom door.

I quickly get off Wyatt. "I totally won that." I state then go run over to Keely's bedroom to wake her up.

"Keely, wake up pumpkin." I whisper while gently rubbing Keely's back. "Keels?"

Keely moves her head, then blinks sleepily at me. "Hey Riv."

"Hey pumpkin, you gotta get up and ready for school, ok? Today's your first day of high school."

"Oh my gosh! I have to call Riley!! We've been waiting for this day for forever!" Keely suddenly yells getting out of bed. She's halfway to her closet before she runs back to me and hugs me. "I love you River."

"Love you too Keely." I say back, then leave her bedroom and go get ready for school myself.

I pull on a pair of grey sweatpants, and a coral pink shirt Keely got me for my birthday a bit ago. I run a hand through my hair and shrug; close enough to brushing it. Then I slip on a pair of sneakers, and go downstairs.

"Ha! I beat you grandpa!" Wyatt laughs, showing off how he was ready before me.

"Wyatt, don't call your brother grandpa." Mom says, yet the smile on her face makes her order seem irrelevant.

"Fine. Ha! I beat you old man."

"Wyatt..." mom starts, making Wyatt sigh.

"Mom, I have to insult him in some way, it's our thing. Call it sibling bonding if you must, but I should be able to insult my only twinny poo."

Mom sighs rolling her eyes. "Fine. But if one of you ever gets your feelings hurt, go to your dad."

Wyatt smiles giving me a thumbs up, causing me to roll my eyes.

Noah comes downstairs, holding his backpack close to him. "Hey mama, when is Chris gonna come visit?"

Mom shrugs. "I'm not sure, he's busy with college bud."

Noah frowns. "Aw man, I miss my big bro."

"It's fine Noah, I miss him too. Maybe we can FaceTime after dinner or something." Wyatt smiles at Noah, and Noah smiles back.

"Yeah I guess. I also wanna see Mel, since she's awesome, but I guess it can wait."

Just then there's a knock on the front door, and since I'm closest to the door I go answer it, I open the door and see Riley, Keely's best friend, standing there.

"Hi River." He smiles up at me, and I can't help but smile back.

"Hey bud. Come on in."

Riley follows me into the house and everyone greets him, except for Keely, who's not down here yet.

"Riley, did you eat breakfast already bud?" Mom asks Riley, and Riley nods.

"Yeah, I had lucky charms." Riley says to my mom.

"KEELY!! RILEY'S HERE!!!" Noah shouts at the top of his lungs.

"Noah, don't yell in the house please." Mom says, and Noah nods.

"RILEY!!!" Keely yells from upstairs and then a second later she's throwing her arms around Riley.

"Hi to you too Keely." Riley laughs.

"We're starting high school!! High school raincould! High school!"

"I know sunshine, you wouldn't stop talking about it for the past three months."

Keely shrugs. "I'm just excited."

"We need to get going now." Wyatt says then hugs mom. "See you later mom."

Mom waves. "Bye my babies!"

Wyatt grabs the car keys, only for me to snatch them out of his hands. "Dude, you don't have your license yet, you have to retake your driver's test." I remind him.

"Psh, I don't have to. If I get us pulled over we can just do a little switch-a-roo and bam! I'm River Baxter Short!"

I snort. "Yeah right, we don't even look alike."

"Dude, we're identical twins! Grammie and pop pop can't tell us apart." Wyatt says rolling his eyes.

"Shut up you imbecile." I say in a loving manner, because who can't love their annoying twin?