Chapter 26| Abbey

Emily and I decided to hang out with the twins today because tomorrow's their birthday and it may just be a family day, so we might not be able to see them on their birthday. But River and Wyatt have assured Emily and I we can still come to their house even if it's a family day if we need to.

Like Sherri or Alan being too much for me to handle. Or Emily's parents being unreasonable. The Short's house is always open to anyone who needs it. I'm marrying in to the best family ever.

"I say we toss sacks over their heads and pretend to kidnap them!" Emily says over the phone, making me sigh.

"Em, we can't pretend to kidnap them." I say rolling my eyes as I make myself another sandwich.

It's been a struggle, being so hungry all the time. I went from barely eating to having to have something in my hands at all times. It's weird, and makes me insecure sometimes. Luckily, my fiancé is literally the best man in the whole world and I love him so much.

"If you're not going to move out yet, at least have the decency to buy your own food." Sherri says sending me a glare.

Yeah, I no longer refer to them as my grandparents. Because they aren't. Grandparents don't act like this. I lost my grandparents the day I got pregnant. They are just random people I don't know.

I look down at my sandwich. I sigh and set it down. Fine. I'll buy my own food. Because you know, I'm a rich sixteen year old girl, not like I can't work because my fiancé doesn't want me stressing, not like I haven't worked a day in my life. I have plenty of money to pay for my own food.

"I'm going to break their fucking hips when I see them." Emily grumbles into the phone.

I ignore Sherri yelling at me clean up the 'mess' I made while making a sandwich I can no longer eat. Because I'm not the one that bought the food. "No. Don't hurt them. Yes, they're the worst. But they're family. They won't come around, they don't love me like they said they did, but I still love them to some degree. I don't want them hurt."

"Ugh. Buzzkill."

"Look, I'm just going to their house. I'm hungry and have absolutely no money for me to buy my own food. My grand- Sherri and Alan made a bank account for me, putting all my birthday money in it and stuff, and now refuse to let me touch it because they hate me. Just meet at their house and we'll plan from there."

I pull on my shoes, and a hoodie and go back downstairs to Sherri still yelling at me. I catch the words whore and slut, but Emily immediately starts talking very loudly about some crap so I don't catch what else Sherri said.

Emily keeps talking with me while I walk to Wyatt's house, and the second I tell her I'm there she leaves so she can drive down here. She said it was necessary to get her license as soon as possible, because it's an hour walk to Wyatt's house for her. Which is funny because it's an hour walk for me too, and I have no desire to get my license. The thought of driving scares me a bit, ever since my dad got in a car crash and died when mom was just a couple weeks pregnant with me. I just have this fear that I'll get in a car wreck, and leave everyone like my dad did.

I knock on the door, and Noah opens it. "Hey Abbey! Wyatt's watching tv." He opens the door wider for me, and I walk in.

"Abbey!" Wyatt says happily when I walk into the family room. I sit next to him on the couch, only for him to pull me onto his lap.

"Hope you don't me inviting myself over." I mumble hugging him.

"Of course I don't mind. I love it you're here. Are you hungry love?"

I nod, not mentioning the fact I know how to buy my own food, and how Sherri and Alan refuse to let me touch my money. Maybe it's a type of abuse or something, or unstable living conditions, and if Tyler hears he's definitely getting me out of my house and dealing with my grand- Sherri and Alan. I'll go to a food bank if necessary. I am going to show my gran- Sherri and Alan I am capable of handling myself and don't run to Wyatt for everything.

"Let's go make you some food then." Wyatt says smiling and pulling me up with him and walking us to the kitchen. "What you thinking? Grilled cheese or chicken nuggets?"

"Grilled cheese." I say smiling at him. Wyatt nods and starts making me a grilled cheese while I sit and watch him.

"Hey, I love you." I say randomly after a minute.

"I love you too love." Wyatt says grinning.

"RIVER!!! EMILY IS HERE!!!" Noah screams.

"COMING!!" River yells from somewhere upstairs, and a second later he and Emily have joined us in the kitchen.

Emily let's go of River, and comes and hugs me. "Please tell me you plan on telling Wyatt about the food situation." She whispers.

"No. I don't plan on telling him. I am an independent woman, I can handle myself." I whisper back. It's true, I can't become so dependent on Wyatt that I become nothing without him. I need to remember who I am and respect myself. I refuse to become the type of girl who is with her boyfriend every second, I can go several days without seeing Wyatt, and I plan to keep it that way. I need to know I'd be fine on my own if anything were to happen. I'm already getting practice being completely alone with the way my g- Sherri and Alan act around me.

I am a independent, strong, woman. I can be well established without a man, though I prefer to have Wyatt around. I will live on my own if it comes to it.

*****
Hey tic tacs.

I was gonna switch back to River and Wyatt's povs, but decided I think I'd like something to be written from neither of their prospectives. So here's Abbey's pov again.

(To my one tic tac who loves guessing what's going to happen. Don't guess, because you'll be right and ruin the surprise for yourself.)