28 | Accusation

Haeun kneeled infront of the king, her eyes were glued to the ground. She was surrounded by her co-workers who gave her judgemental stares. But she didn't care, because she knew she hadn't done anything wrong.

"Your majesty, I honestly do not understand. Why have I been accused of attempted murder?" Haeun asked calmly.

The king laughed sarcastically. "You don't know? You are that girl that's in the same car accident as my son, aren't you?"

"That is right." Haeun nodded, she had no reason to lie.

"You are even admitting it," The king laughed once more. "You are the niece of my wife's killer."

Loud gasps reached Haeun's ears, but she ignored them. She knew that people were staring at her with shock, they were probably beginning to hate her. Haeun kept looking at the expensive carpet infront of her, she didn't want to get hurt by those stares. "I am, but that doesn't mean I've attempted to kill anyone. I am not like that woman at all."

"Why did you change your surname to Han? I got my butler to do research on you. Your name was Go Haeun, but you changed it just before you came to the palace. Why?" The king asked, his eyes drillling holes into Haeun's head.

Haeun continued to speak calmly. "I did not want to be associated with that woman and my father. As you may know, Hyerim is my step-sister. My father left me and my family for Hyerim and her mother. I despise him. I changed my surname to Han, because of my uncle. He saw me as his daughter."

"What a lame excuse," The king rolled his eyes. "You changed your name to hide your identity. Admit it, you are here to kill my son. Wasn't my wife enough? Why does your family want to get rid of my entire family!"

Haeun looked up from the ground to lock eyes with the king. Her eyes were filled with anger as she looked at the king, she was beginning to get pissed off. "Excuse me?"

"I'm right, am I not?" The king smirked.

"No, you're wrong." The next thing Haeun said, made everyone gasp. "I love the prince."

The king widened his eyes, she seemed dead serious. "You love him?"

Haeun nodded casually. "Yes, I really love him."

"Then how do you explain this?" A smirk appeared on the king's face as he pulled out a letter out of his pocket. He threw it to Haeun, who picked it up and read it.

---

Auntie, I have done it.

I successfully got a job at the castle. I will be working as a maid there. I'll do as you said and poison the prince. It will be easy, just give me some weeks. I need the staff to trust me before I kill him. I got mom to help me get the job. I'm currently writing from the hospital, I'll be working in a few months.

No one should know me there, so it should be easy. I even changed my name so no one suspects me. Please send me a letter back, help with this mission.

That prince didn't die because of the car accident I made. What a shame. I will do everything I can to kill him successfully this time. I've been watching him in the hospital, I know everything about him now.

Your niece, Go Haeun.

---

Haeun's eyes widened in shock while she read the letter. Who the hell wrote this letter? "Your majesty! This is fabricated evidence! Who gave this to you? Whoever did, lied! I have never planned to kill the prince, I'm telling the truth! I love him!"

"Stop lying this instant! This is your letter! Everything makes sense! The one who gave me this letter is trustworthy and I know she would never betray me or Jungkook." The king yelled, anger in his tone.

"I will say this again. Your majesty, I have not written this-"

"DAD! What is the meaning of this!" The door bursted open to reveal Jungkook, who seemed furious.

The king smiled at his son. "Son, I've found your killer."

"Killer? What the hell are you talking about?" Jungkook asked with a mad stare.

"This maid over here," The king pointed at Haeun. "-has planned to kill you and I've caught her before she could do anything."

"She would never kill me. What are you even talking about!" Jungkook yelled, glaring at his father. The king did not give a damn about the stare his son gave him.

"Read the letter she has in his hands." The king ordered. Jungkook turned his gaze to Haeun and his eyes softened. He never wants to see this again. The prince took the letter out of his girlfriend's hands and read it.

Jungkook scoffed when he read the last words. "Dad, Haeun hasn't written this."

"How do you know? Everything makes sense, it was her! I have done a background check on her! I will not let anyone in the Go family ruin my family again!" The king said angrily.

"Haeun is my girlfriend, why would my own girlfriend have a plan to kill me?"

Loud gasps came from the other people in the room. The maids had been listening to the conversations while cleaning the room. Whispers were heard all over the room. "This killer is your girlfriend. You wanted to end the competiton for her?!" The king yelled at his son, he couldn't believe what he was hearing.

Jungkook nodded firmly. "Yes, I want to end the competition for her. This letter makes no sense Dad, Haeun wouldn't be able to write this letter. She became blind after that accident!"

"And how do you know that son?"

"I spent time with her at the hospital and she was blind at that time!" Jungkook yelled in frustration. His father was really getting on Jungkook's nerves.

"You spent time with her at the hospital? You ignored my demands?" The king said with a raised brow.

Jungkook nodded, he had nothing to hide. "I fell in love with her there. She made me happy at that time and she became my first friend. That picture in of a woman in my bedroom is her! The reason I became depressed when I got discharged was because of her! I thought I lost her. Whatever you're about to do, do not do it! She has never planned on killing me, I know!"

"His highness is telling the truth, your majesty. I did become blind after that accident, I came here to work for the prince. I wanted to repay him and apologize." Haeun said, truthfully.

The king shook his head in disappointment. "She probably manipluated you. Guards throw her in the dung-"

"Your majesty!" A male voice cut the king off his sentence. Jimin came running in the room and quickly bowed beside Haeun.

"Guard Park? What are you doing?" The king asked with a qurked brow.

"Why are you throwing Haeun in the dungeon? She has done nothing wrong." Jimin asked as he bowed.

"She has! One, she had a plan to kill the crown prince and two, she's the niece of my wife's killer. What more could she do wrong?" The king scoffed and crossed his arms.

"If she's being thrown in the dungeon because of her blood, then throw me too. I am Haeun's cousin and that woman's nephew."

Jimin heard whispers from the maids, but he ignored them fully. "I thought they were just friends, not family members!" One of the maids whispered loud enough. "Haeun was lying, what a bitch." Another maid scoffed.

"YOU ARE WHAT?" The king yelled in anger. "Guards, throw them both in the dungeon. I do not want to have them in my sight."

Jungkook looked as two guards came towards the cousins and dragged them out of the room. "My lady..Jimin.." The prince muttered while sadness filled his eyes.

The sadness was replaced with anger within seconds. He was going to find whoever accused Haeun of this and get the cousins out of that dungeon.

---

Published: 25/05/22

Not edited.