Chapter Ten

The shock consumed her whole body, like a wave of freezing air, but not that of the air she fell through. The roar grew louder, but not the roar of the wind in her ears. As the ground grew closer, Autumn realized it was a familiar feeling. She was a second away from the ground, and then her body spiraled. Autumn felt herself twisting and turning uncomfortably in mid air, her vision blocked by bright oranges and yellows. The roar was loud, then became silent, as Autumn hit the ground back first. She gasped but sucked in no air, the drop knocking the wind out of her. Face up, she saw Oliver and Drake peaking over the edge of the cliff, just dots the size of her thumb, but they quickly disappeared at the sight of her on the ground. They were so high up, how did Autumn manage to survive? The chill that consumed her whole body was fading now, and all she felt was an unbearable heat. In the sky, she saw a bird flying overhead.
    No, a hawk. It flew down with a screech, and silently landed on Autumns chest. It's sharp talons on her bare skin made her realized she was naked. What happened?
    "Do not fight the gift you have been given." It told her. Autumn didnt have ay air in her to speak. "I am a part of you, now." The bird dipped out of her line of sight, Autumn felt its feathers on her chest. Then, they grew warm and the bird felt light, a cold swept over Autumn again. It had gone back to its rightful place: inside the fire elemental.
    "Autumn!" Olivers voice yelled from afar. Autumn felt like the pocket of air in her chest had released with the hawk, and she finally took a gasp of air. Slowly, she lifted herself and looked around. SHe was sitting in the center of a black cirlce, the ground burnt like ash. Everything around her had been destroyed, and the trees and shrubs at the edge of the circle had no leaves, reduced to charred black. Autumn pulled herself to her feet, wrapping her arms across her body as she looked at the scene in disbelief. Her hair brushed her shoulder blades, like a comforting touch.
    Oliver and Drake emerged from the trees in a rush, but froze as they saw her. Autumn looked back at them in silence. She took a step forward, but suddenly felt weak. Her leg buckled underneath her and sh fell to her knees. Oliver bolted forward without fear, but Drake was still frozen as he looked at what this girl had done. It was unbelievable, but what Oliver had said must be true.
    Oliver knelt besides Autumn, gently touching her bare shoulders. "Are you ok?" She asked her.
    "What happened?"
    "You tell us." Drake spoke up suddenly. He had a defensive stance to him. Just who had he agreed to help?
    Oliver glared at him, and turned her attention back to Autumn, "You used your power. It saved your life."
    "You fucking exploded." Drake continued from afar, not daring to step foot in the death circle, "What are you?!"
    "The hawk came to me," Autumn said silently, almost to herself, "The Phoenix. It said not to refuse the gift that was given to me." Oliver looked down at her, Autumns red hair shielding her face. Drake had his fists clenched. Perhaps he was afraid.
    "Its not a gift," Autumn spat in disgust, looking at the ruined scene around her, "It's the embodiment of death."
Autumns clear uncomfort whit her power was enough for Drake to relax a bit. Oliver had him, more like forced him, to carry Autumn back up the cliff to the small clearing. She grew too weak to stand on her own, but she was still aware and awake. She felt uncomfortable in Drakes arms, not only because she was naked, but because she knew that he probably regretted helping them in the first place.
    "I'm sorry," she said to him quietly as he carried her, "I would have never gotten you involved if I had known."
    "I guess its not your fault." He looked down at her, their faces close. He seemed to have a habit of getting in her bubble. They starred at eachother for a moment, then Drake's eyes darted forwards, awkwardly.
    Autumn couldnt help but chuckle weakly, "Can't even look at me now?"
    Drake has a slight tinge of pink on his cheeks, "You-youre not wearing clothes."
    "Lay her down here," Oliver spoke up. Drake gingerly laid her on th ground, careful to keep his eyes up, then spn around. Autumn found his nervousness of her being naked amusing, but she became abruptly reminded of why she was in the first place as her weak body touched the ground and ached painfully. She seemed to be growing weaker, as her eyes started to grow heavy. Oliver threw a blanket over her, gave her a sip of water and a piece of hard, dried meat.
    "You rest," she told her, then turned to Drake, "You too."
    "Me?" he asked.
    "We can only stay here for a bit, especially after that."
    Autumn's eyes alreadly began to close, her exhaustion taking over. However, her heart jumped a bit at Olivers words, as she fell into sleep.
    "Everything, and everyone around, probably heard that explosion."