Chapter Fifteen

Autumn and Drake were led into another room, Eren hanging off of her arm.
    "I thought I'd never seen you again," he told her as they walked, "I heard that there were no Aris's left."
    "We've kept tabs on all those entering and exiting the territory," Their mother interrupted as she opened a door for them, "I'm sorry about the mistreatment."
    Oliver was on the other side, and jumped up at the sight of them.
    "Autumn!" She exclaimed, rushing forward. She put her hands on cheeks, examining her. Her mother watched.
    "I'm here too," Drake spoke up.
    "Look at you," Oliver ignored him, "A bloody mess."
    "Oliver," Autumn pulled her hands away, "I'm fine."
    "I'll get you all some new clothes," Autumn's mother said to them, walking over to the table where Oliver sat, "Eren mentioned you all have some news for me."
    "The Diseased," Oliver spoke up, "They're nearly in the Bird Isles."
    "We havent seen any signs of that, like I said, we've been keeping tabs ever since the fighting started."
    "Autumn fought them back, but there could be more coming."
    "Is that so?" She leaned on one hip, "I see you've inherited more than just my good looks, Autumn."
    "I believe my fathers to blame for that."
    "Yes, your father has a knack for having strong kin. Like those boys. Why aren't they with you?"
    "Vick and Aris," Eren jumped at the mention of them, "Where are they?" Autumn looked between them.
    "You...don't know?"
    "Oh," Eren grew sad, "They didn't survive, did they?"
    "They did," Autumn said slowly, "Who...who do you think started the war?"
    "The Valak army is what they are calling themselves." their mother spoke up.
    "Valak," Autumn repeated. She couldnt help but find irony in it, her brother using their grandfathers name as his own, two mass murderers.
    "It's Vick."
    "That boy?"
    "Vick?" Eren voice suddenly sounded a whole lot older.
    "It seems like you three a know a lot about whats going on," she sat, knitting her fingers together and staring expectantly at them.
    "We just know that they're close, we want to join the fight."
    "So eager. Why?"
    "My brother is responsible for the murders of innocent people, and my families downfall." Autumn looked uncertain at Oliver.
    "Ah, so he's the fire starter." She titled her head at them, "I went there recently, actually. To pay my respects of course, but the ash was mighty disturbed. Someone had been there before me."
    "I had been there," had they really been that close to one another without even realizing it?
    "But why return to your family home after all this time?"
    Autumn grew nervous, the memory of her clambering out of the ash bringing nothing but pain, like the ash in her throat was still there.
    "Meredith," Oliver said, and Autumn's mother looked to her. So, that was her name. "There's something about Autumn that will play a vital part in winning this war."
    "The ash pile is giving me a little hint," she turned her eyes back to Autumn, like she was solving a puzzle, "Three months ago, the fire elemental died. But it always finds a new owner." Autumn was a bit taken aback at her immediate assumption. Even though she was right, Autumn found it hard to believe that was able to figure it out so quickly.
    Meredith gave them no time to explain as she leaned back in her chair, "Well, now it's even more of an honor to have you here, Autumn."
    "Because I'm the Elemetal, or because I'm your daughter? One of which you don't seemed very concerned about."
    "Trust me, I have spent every waking day thinking of you. This is the only way I know to keep my cool until I can have a moment alone with you." She told her abruptly, almost too quickly, before turning her attention back to Oliver. "You've always had a habit of getting yourself into these kinds of situations, like magic is drawn to you. It's a skill I'm very jealous of. I'll send message to the Compass immediately and request the help of the other Elementals, but before I do, is there anything else you three know?"
    "There's one other thing, about Vick." Autumn spoke up, unsure. Oliver and Drake looked at her, confused.
    "Before the fire, Vick had given me an option to join him or die. Help my family or live. He had told me something about the Disease. That he can control it."
    "Interesting. I wouldn't say it was impossible, unusual things, phenomena like that aren't to be thrown out as not an option. So he got the Disease, then was able to harvest it somehow? That I've heard of."
    "No, Vick is...he didnt shift."
    This Meredith chuckled at, "Perhaps he was just a late bloomer."
    "He was 21, far past age, before we exiled him. He couldn't shift."
    "You seem to know a lot about this enemy of ours. I would like your help later, to tell everything you know about him that could assist in the fighting. I'm assuming, asking where they're stationed is asking too much?"
    "I'm afraid so," Oliver said, side eyeing Autumn, "We have no idea where they're coming from."
    "Well, if I find out, you three will be the first to know. Thank you so much for the information you brought today." Meredith rubbed her eyes, as if aching for sleep, but she didnt show a sign of it, "I'll have Eren show you where you can clean up and get some rest."
    "But there's still so much to do," Autumn said urgently, "Vick is still-"
    "You've done enough, Autumn. You've brought us crucial information, you've prevented the Valak army from getting any closer to us than they alreadly are, and most of all, you brought us the Fire Elemental back into the world. By the looks of it, you deserve some rest in a real bed. Eren, take them, please."
    Eren began to walk away, Oliver and Drake following, but Autumn stood still, staring at Meredith, "If we're as alike as we look, then you know I won't be able to rest while he's killing people out there."
    "You're definitely my daughter," Meredith told her, "and if that's the case, then you and I both know you're moving forward so fast because you're avoiding something. Am I wrong?" Autumn just looked blankly at her, "I'll come see you soon, I promise. But for now, talk to your friends, take some time to yourself. The war inside of you is as obvious as the one outside. Now go."
    Autumn hesitantly left the room, following Eren as he led them down the narrow hallways. To the left of them stood thin windows, the glass colored brightly, causing rainbows to illuminate the ground. Autumn realized the uneven roof and walls were just that of painted rock. "Are we inside the mountain?" she asked Eren, curiosity clear in her voice.
    "Yes!" Eren replied, suddenly excited, "I can't wait to show you around! It's the most beautiful place i've ever seen."
    "One of them," Oliver told him, and he twisted his neck to look at her.
    "You've seen places more amazing than the Bird Isles?"
    "Of course," Oliver told him with a smile, but Autumn thought it almost looked sad, "There's a whole world out there."
    "Mother has never let me go anywhere outside of the Isles," He rolled his eyes as they rounded a corner, "She says I'm not old enough yet."
    "Well, I don't mind telling you a bit about what's out there, if you'd like."
    "Yes! Please! She never tells me anything." Erens voice dripped with childlike annoyance, but Autumn thought it was odd. Why would Meredith hide the outside world from him? But now that she thought about it, her family hid everything from her, too.
    "It sounds like she just wants to protect you," Oliver told him.
    "Protect me from what, though? I live in the world whether she likes it or not." Oliver turned quiet at that. Eren stopped finally in an archway, and pointed to the room inside. "Theres some rooms, pick one and I'll bring you guys some clothes."
    "Is food and a bath an option?" Drake perked up, going into the room and looking up at the arched ceiling.
    "Bath house is straight across there, and food will have to wait until tonight," Eren's eyes were bright, "Do you know about the festival?"
    "Afriad not," Drake crossed him arms as he looked down at him.
    "It's the most amazing thing! Perfect to get you guys to love the Isles!" He hopped up and down slightly, "It's so much fun!"
    "I can't wait," Autumn smiled down at him, ruffing his hair as she passed, "Come see me soon, ok? I want to talk to you."
    "I think Mom wants to first, but I'll try to come too." He waved them off, leaving them to the sound of his footsteps echoing off the stone walls. The three of them looked at one another.
    "Well," Autumn looked around, holding herself awkwardly, "What now?"
    "I don't know about you two, but I'm gonna get the smell of blood off of me," Drake walked towards the direction of the bath house, "don't be shy to join me," he gave them a devilish grin. Oliver ignored him, finding their supplies on the ground outside one of the rooms.
    "Jokes aside, you should probably clean that wound up." she told Autumn.
    "You stink!" Drake's voice laughed down the hall.
    "But, isnt a bath house very...open?" Autumn asked, unsure.
    "For the most part, yes," Oliver couldn't but smile at her, "They should have some more secluded pools, for the nervous type."
    "Alright..." Autumn followed in the direction of Drake. At the end of the tunnel, there were large pools of shallow water, filled to the brim with naked bodies. Autumn's face grew hot, as she turned her head down and followed along the wall, spotting some small doors where she hoped there would be a private area for her.
    "You lost, hun?" A woman spoke up, and Autumn followed the sound of the voice. She sat with her arms propped up on the edge of the pools, steam coming from her body as she smiled up at Autumn. Autumn immediately turned her gaze.
    "I'm just trying to find the...um..."
    "First timer, huh? Awe, you're so cute." Her smile widened, but then she saw Autumn's clothes, drenched in now dry blood, and her smile fell. "I see. Those doors, hun. Would you...like some help with that?"
    "No, thank you." Autumn felt an arm wrap over her shoulders, and Drake appeared, gleefully smiling down at the woman.
    "That's what friends are for!" He told her, but her eyes narrowed, looking between the two of them.
    "First of all, my eyes are up here," She scolded him, "Second of all, any funny business with this girl, and I'll tear you to shreds."
    "Is that so?" Drake asked, amused. The womans eyes glowed yellow, and she let out a growl mixed with a shreek. Drake jumped back, hurrying Autumn forward.
    "No no, I don't like those bird shifters." He told her, looking back at her nervously.
    "Oh? Is the big bad wolf scared of birds?" Autumn teased, "I saw your face when that Griffin showed up."
    "Oh yeah? Well did you see your face? I think we were all a bit surprised."
    "Surprised, yeah, but not scared shitless like you."
    "Whatever," he growled, glancing back one last time. They arrived at the doors, and Autumn shrugged out of Drakes side hug.
    "I think I can take it from here," She told him.
    "Are you sure," he said in a sing song voice, "I don't mind helping a friend out."
    "You're mighty flirty today," Autumn raised her eyebrows at him, "Something you wanna tell me?"
    "Maybe," His smile fell, "But seriously, that guard or soldier or whoever the hell they are seemed to get you good. You sure you can take care of yourself?"
    "I'm not a child, Drake."
    "Uh huh," he crossed his arms, "Prove it. Lift your arms."
    Autumn rolled her eyes, but he didn't move. Finally she sighed, and raised her arms above her head, "See? I'm fine-" A pain ripped across her, and Autumn gasped, bending over. "God," she whispered to herself.
    "That's what I thought," he reached over and opened the door, motioning her to go inside.
    "I think I'd rather wait for Oliver," Autumn said, glancing at the enterence.
    "I don't think she'll be coming any time soon, so you'll have to settle for me. Besides, it's not the first time I've seen you naked." He winked, but, as if he surprised himself, his cheeks were tinged pink. Autumn sighed, and walked through the doors.
    "You wait until I'm in the water, got it? Turn around." Drake chuckled, and turned to face the door as he closed it. Autumn looked around her as she pulled off her shirt, wincing and gasping at the pain. There was a single pool, a large window that brought in the only source of light. Steamed clouded her vision as Autumn got undressed and slowly crawled herself into the water. She inhaled sharply as her wound touched the water, but she felt stabs of pain all around her body. Looking down at her arms, Autumn saw there were little scratches that didnt heal, scabbing over and turning to scars.
    "Alright," She turned back to Drake, but saw him completely naked. He laughed as she spun back around.
    "Don't worry, I didn't see anything." He told her as he joined her in the water, Autumn refused to look at him.
    "I thought you were nervous about being around me naked before, please act like that again."
    "I think those people outside gave me some confidence."
    "Well they destroyed mine."
    "I thought you were the one that was okay with being naked around everyone? You know, the whole fire thing."
    "I was a bit distracted with fighting for my life those times, if you hadn't noticed."
    "Don't worry hon, I'm well aware of your strength," She felt Drake touch her bare skin on her shoulder, "You could literally throw me out of this pool at any second, but you'd have to look at me for that."
    "You won't catch me doing that anytime soon."
    Drake just hummed a response, but went quiet for a moment. Autumn felt his fingers brush her hair away from her neck. "What are you doing?"
    "Admiring this scar of yours," his fingers outlined the healed wound on her the beach of her neck, "I havent seen it before now."
    "I guess my hair hid it pretty well," Autumn whispered back, suddenly feeling tired. The heat of the water and Drakes light touch on her skin forced her body to relax.
    "What's the story?" he asked her, his voice sounding like he had that devilish grin on his face.
    "I died." Autumn responded without thinking.
Drakes movements stopped, "I'm sorry, what?"
"Nevermind," Autumn said, "Let's just get this over with." Drake said nothing, letting his hand fall. Autumn heard him splash in the water a bit, before the light drops of water on water signaled he had found a rag.
"Please tell me thats not used."
"It was folded nice and neat and dry, don't you worry." She felt the light touch of the fabric as Drake began to rub away the dry blood off her skin.
"It seems I don't know as much about you as I thought." He said to her.
    "I don't think I know all that much about you, either."
    "Let's share then," he leaned close to her, Autumn felt his chest on her back, "What's your secret?"
    "You first," she turned now, looking at him for the first time. She ignored his bare skin, and took the rag from his hand with a red face. He looked down at her wound, barely peeking out of the water. It was worse than what he thought, covering the length shoulder to shoulder like someone had slashed her skin open. His face grew sad.    
    "What's your name? Your full name?" Autumn whispered.
    Drake seemed hesitant before answering, "Drake Traville."