Chapter 15. Dannie in Hopewing

A star does not compete with other stars around it; it just shines.

~ Matshona Dhliwayo

Chapter 15.

Dannie in Hopewing

  Dannie's new cousin Sophie was a girl full of ideas and action. Dannie discovered this the next morning when she presented herself at the Reverend's house right after breakfast. 

   "Come along, Dannie," she said in a bright voice. "The day is young and there is so much for us to do. Call Annie to come with us and I'll show you around the town. There ain't much to see, but you should know it, seein' as you will be living here. As we go around we'll have the opportunity to maybe meet some of yer future students and their parents."

   The three girls were soon going about the town with Sophie pointing out the different buildings and giving all the stories behind them.

   They had just come out of the post office when they were greeted by a boy of about ten or eleven years of age. He was dressed in dirty trousers and shirt. A dusty cap on on his head. He glanced up at Dannie, hostility in his eyes.

   "So yer the new school teacher, are ya?" He asked.

   "Scotty, manners!" Sophie barked at him.

   "I am, " Dannie replied in an even voice. "And who might you be?"

   "Scotty Jenkins. Momma told me I gonna go to yer school, but I ain't."

   "Unfortunately I don't think it's up to you. As a young child your duty is to do as your Mother tell you."

   "You don't want me, Miss."

   "I don't? And why is that?"

   "Cause I can spit and I'll spit all over the place."

   Dannie frowned at the boy. "Master Jenkins, whether or not you go to my school is entirely up to your mother. I can, however, promise you this, if you dare to spit in my classroom I'll make you regret it."

   Scotty's dark eyes glared up defiantly at her. He took a deep breath and suddenly spat at her. One thing Dannie would later have to admit is the boy really could spit. It flew like a little bullet and hit her right in the eye.

   "Scotty Jenkins!" Sophie reached over and rapped the boy on the head. Annie pulled out her handkerchief and gave it to Dannie.

   "And I ain't gonna do nothin' neither but that at yer school if you make me go!"

   The blood rushed to Dannie's face and she took a deep breath. Reaching over she grabbed the boy by the ear. "Spitting in my face was bad enough," she said in such a severe voice that even Sophie and Annie took a step back. "But what came out of your mouth after that was far worse. You 'ain't gonna do nothin' neither but that'. What on earth is that even supposed to mean, Master Jenkins? Apart from no manners, you have no ability of proper speech either. Where is your mother, young man?"

   "Lemme go!" He struggled under her grasp but she held him firm.

   "Lemme? Lemme? Is that even English?" She retorted. "Where do I find this boy's mother?" Dannie turned to her companions.

   "I think she was over at the shop," Annie replied.

   Straightening out her shoulders, Dannie marched off towards the general store, dragging the boy behind her. Sophie and Annie followed. Folks in the street stopped to watch the procession. Two people in particular paused with great interest.