Chapter 22. Because of Paul.

In a true loving heart, either jealousy kills love, or love kills jealousy—Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Chapter 22.

Because of Paul.

   "Jake, we've come to take you back to the Cora Belle!" Sam stated as he and two other fellows marched into the library where Jake was browsing through a book.

   "Ah, I see you've finally remembered about the invalid," Jake replied, looking up from the pages filled with endless words. "I was almost beginnin' to worry  you were gettin' along fine without me and that I would be forced to remain on the Circle 4."

   "Not in yer life you wouldn't," Slim, a very tall, very lanky fellow who seemed to be composed of only legs and arms, said. "The boss was wonderin' what on earth is takin' you so long and finally got tired of waitin' and sent us to fetch ya."

   "Are you...readin'?" Sam asked in voice that was both confused and teasing at the same time. He snatched the book out of Jake's hands and looked at the title. "Rob Roy." Sam glanced at Jake with raised eyebrows.

   "Dannie named her dog after the title character," Jake defended himself. "I just wanted to know what sort of a person this Rob Roy was."

   "Right!" The three Cora Belle cowboys exchanged glances and burst out laughing. Jake rolled his eyes and getting up, grabbed the book from Sam and put it back on the shelf.

   "How's the leg?" Sam asked once they'd had enough of laughing.

   "Leg's fine, thank you." Jake snapped. "Even went ridin' several times. I've still got a bit of a limp, but Mr. Martin says it's just a matter of time and within a week or two I should be walkin' around as good as new."

   "That's great!" Sam had calmed down by now and grinned at Jake. "I have to say, Jake, I don't know what sort of stars you were born under, but they sure as hell worked their wonders. I didn't think any man could survive what you went through, an' what is more, still manage to get completely better."

   "I wouldn't think it was the stars, lucky or unlucky, that helped me this time," Jake replied. "I'd say it was the grace of God and a very determined woman."

   "Ah yes," Joe, the third fellow, spoke up, "Sam wus tellin' us about yer nurse and we's all curious about the only woman Jake ever allowed to come within a mile of him."

   "Yeah, Jake, where is Dannie?" Sam put in.

   "Out doing somethin'. It's not like she has to watch me anymore, I'm gettin' by fine on my own two feet."

   "So that means we won't see her?" Joe's face became downcast.

   "Why not, she's here on the ranch. Though why you all are so dying to see her is beyond me." Jake wasn't exactly eager for a pair of women starved cowboys meet his Dannie.

   A knock sounded on the door and everyone turned to face it.

   "Jake, Grace said you were...oh." Dannie froze in the doorway when she realized there were four men in the room.

   "Dannie, these are a couple of the fellas from the Cora Belle, they've come to drag me home." Jake introduced. "You know Sam of course, but this is Slim and Joe."

   "Pleased to meet you gentlemen," Dannie gave a smile to the men.

   "Fellas, this here is Danielle Preston."

   "We've heard a lot about ya, Miss," Joe said as he whipped off his hat and gave her a small bow of greeting.

   "Oh, from whom?"