Chapter 16. The Circle 4.

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on

~ Robert Frost

Chapter 16.

The Circle 4.

A month had gone by and there had been no word from Jake in all this time. 

"Aren't you just an expert on disappearing!" Dannie muttered as she slammed the book shut. This action caused an echo to ring out across the church. She glanced up at the empty church. "I hadn't meant to be disrespectful," she apologized to the holy place. "But that man can make even the most pious saints to discover their inner demons. Vanished into thin air as though he'd never been. And to think he had been so friendly and protective, I was ready to believe we were going be friends. Apparently I thought wrong." She took a deep sigh and rose from her seat. The students had gone off and hour or so ago, she had remained to prepare for tomorrows lessons.

"If only there was some way to get pencils and papers and textbooks," Dannie stated with another sigh. "Supplies take so long to get here. Maybe I can write Mrs. Callaway and see if she can put an order and have it brought on the train and have it sent to me on the Mail Coach." Her mind drifted back to Collingwood, where it was just a quick and short train ride to Leeds to purchase any supplies that were available in the village. 

Her thoughts were broken by the door to the church being opened and Sophie coming in. "Ah, Dannie, here you are," she said cheerily. "I went over to the Reverend's home and you weren't there. They said you were most likely still at the church. I've come here to tell ya that we'll be taking you to the Circle 4 for the weekend."

Dannie frowned. "Have you asked me if I wish to go."

"Stayin' here is not an option, Miss Preston. You've been here in Hopewing for an entire month and haven't come to visit us even once. Our ranch is one of the closest to the town and we're yer family. Momma told me and Caleb that we can't return without ya. Let's go and pack yer things and you can spend some time out in the open. I'll show you our cattle and we can go horseback riding."

Marching up to Dannie, Sophie grabbed her hand. Dannie kept the frown on her face but followed her cousin. She was curious to know what ranches were like and from what she had been able to glean in the town The Circle 4 was the largest and the richest ranch in the area. Mr. Martin owned more cattle than anyone and hired a lot of men to help him out. 

At the Reverend's house they met Caleb Martin. He sat in the parlour with a book in his hand. Becky Sullen sat not far from him, she looked at him and said nothing. The sight made Dannie feel rather awkward. "Caleb," Sophie called, "we'll just pack some things for Dannie and be on our way."

He nodded absently, his nose still in the book.

"Has Becky Sullen taken a fancy to Caleb?" Dannie asked as she put her things into a bag. Sophie laughed and shrugged. 

"Could be. She's still such a little girl though, barely eighteen. Caleb don't have eyes for little girls."

"How old are the two of you anyway?"

"Twenty four."

"And your still not married."

"Huh!" Sophie tossed her head and rolled her eyes. "Don't think it's for lack of proposals. There ain't a single man in this here town who hasn't made me an offer. But I don't care to git married. I don't want to be bogged down cookin' and cleanin' for some man while he is off chasin' cattle. I hate getting left behind. If I had my way I'd be ridin' out there with the rest of the cowboys, but Daddy says it ain't safe for a girl like me to be out there alone with them. Like any of them would dare get close to me!" Sophie pointed to the holster that was strapped to her waist. "I've got my six shooter with me at all times, not to mention I carry daggers in my boots. Most of our hired hands are scared stiff of me, many men are. I'm pretty sure you heard enough gossip going around this town about 'Wild Miss Sophie'."