Chapter 23. Common Sense

"It had long since come to my attention that people of accomplishment rarely sat back and let things happen to them. They went out and happened to things."— Leonardo da Vinci

Chapter 23.

Common Sense.

   Sophie was really put out as she rushed about the house looking for her nurse. Coming to the kitchen she saw her mother busy preparing the evening meal. Dannie was with her.

   "Have either of you seen Carolina?" She asked.

   Mrs. Martin turned to face Sophie. "I believe she is on the front porch, workin' on your dress for the dance."

   "Thanks." Sophie flashed a smile of gratitude and ran off. True to Grace's words, Carolina was busy at work on the front porch. She paused at the sound of Sophie's footsteps and a smile spread across her face when she saw her pet. The smile quickly turned to a look of concern when she noticed Sophie was very upset.

   "Ah, mi amor, what is the matter? Why is there a cloud over your face?"

   "It's Dannie," Sophie burst out. "She's all down because of the way Jake took off. It's been two days since the whole circus act and she's still a perfect picture of misery. But that's not the worst part, now she's tellin' me she don't want to go to the dance! Says she'll just return to Reverend's Simmen's home and prepare for Monday, which is when school will open again."

   "No, she must go. Jake is not the only man on the planet."

   "That is what I've been tryin' to get her to understand. It's the perfect opportunity for her to get happy again, but that little British Miss is being so stubborn. Said she won't go and that is final. I lost my temper with her and told her if she wants to be so miserable she can just go to the garden and eat worms, but instead she went to help Momma with cookin' dinner. What are we going to do, Carolina? What about the surprise dress we've been makin' for her? I don't want all that work and material to go to waste!"

   "It is not going to go to waste. Here is what we will do. I will lay the dress out in the parlor after dinner and you get Dannie and we'll present our surprise. Just wait and see, Sophia, she will be the first to climb into the wagon tomorrow.

***

   "I told you I don't want to go," Dannie protested as Sophie led her blindfolded to the parlor, Roy trotting after them.

   "And I told you that I didn't care."

   "And I don't care that you don't care. I'm not going and that's that! Now take this silly scarf off my eyes."

   "Not yet, I don't want you to see the surprise before it's time," Sophie said, opening the door and pulling Dannie inside. "Alright, on the count of three, one, two, three...SURPRISE!" Sophie untied the scarf and Dannie found herself looking at a beautiful dress spread out the sofa

   "Oh!" She gasped in an awed voice. The dress was pure white with blue bows on the slightly puffed sleeves and a blue satin sash. Delicate blue lace lined the collar and the sleeves. Carolina stood by the dress, beaming with pride and satisfaction.

   "Where did you get that?" Dannie sputtered in surprise.

   "We made it," Sophie grinned, her face a reflection of Carolina's.

   "You made it?"

   "Carolina did most of the work," Sophie confessed. "My stitching is dreadful and I hate doing it. But the idea was mine and I bought all the material and lace."