Chapter 26. Outlaws and Lawmen

All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you—Richard Adams

Chapter 26.

Outlaws and Lawmen.

Jake and Sam rode into Hopewing and stopped at the front of the town bank. A boy sitting by the post greeted them with a smile.

"Need me to watch your horses, Misters?"

"Sure sonny," Sam smiled and pulling a dollar from his pocket handed it to the boy. "That's for both horses," he pointed out as he tied the reins of his horse to the post. The kid gave another grin and took the reins from Jake.

"Just remember, Jake," Sam turned to his partner. "We're only here for about an hour so we can get back to the Cora Belle tonight."

"You can stop remindin' me," Jake retorted. "I remember how long we're gonna be here, it's all you ever told me in comin' here."

"I'm just makin' sure you know it's a quick visit; not one you actually had to tag along for. I've only got to settle some personal business an' I don't need your help."

"Glad to hear that, cause I'm not here to help ya."

"Then why did you want to come to town?"

"I've got reasons."

"Reasons that have to do with a wedding band?" Sam winked at Jake.

Jake rolled his eyes. "Will you group of idiots ever get off my case? For the past two weeks all I've been hearin' about from the sorry lot on that ranch is about my weddin' day."

Sam let out a hearty laugh and thumped Jake on the back. "Yeah well, what did you expect? I was sure you were gonna propose when the two of you left the dance hall. Can't believe you haven't gotten around to it yet. Don't you remember where you live? If you don't ask her, Cal will grab his chance. Sheriff Grant seems to have backed off once it became clear Dannie preferred you. Cal is still young with hot blood, he won't give up so quickly."

"Oh yes he'll give up," Jake growled. He hated it when anyone brought Cal up. "Dannie don't even like him, she'd never agree to his offer. Besides, I don't understand what's the rush. Can't a man take his time?"

"Not in Hopewing he can't. There are ten men for every woman, if you don't claim her soon some smart ass will whip her right from under yer nose."

"Just get your rear end into the bank," Jake lost his patience. 

"Hey, mind your manners, I am the foreman." Sam waved his finger at Jake and with another laugh at him went inside the Hopewing bank. Jake turned and made his way to the Sheriff's office.

Sam and the other cowboys didn't understand he couldn't make an offer to Dannie because Sam and the others didn't know about the whole tangled mess with Calhoon. He could never ask for Dannie's hand with Calhoon hunting him; there was no reason to drag her into this stupid mess created by his silly sister. Jake sometimes wondered if Rachel ever realized just how far reaching her actions had been. Could she even suspect that he was still suffering because of her reckless behavior? While she was happy and out of danger, Jake was at a constant threat of a blood thirsty criminal. When there had only been cattle and horses in his life, Calhoon's hunting hadn't bothered him as much as it did now. He had been alone and unattached, free to pick up and run to wherever he darn well pleased. Now, with the appearance of the little lady everything was different. Suddenly Jake found himself with thoughts of settling down, plans of building a home, and maybe even starting a family. But with Calhoon on the loose, it was all only wishful thinking. The fact that Calhoon wasn't exactly the easiest person on the planet to catch didn't help matters. Jake had never known where the man was hiding or from what point he was going to attack. Now however, it seemed fate was finally being kind to him. The glimpse of Bessie two weeks ago had given him a little clue as to what Calhoon might have in mind, and perhaps if Jake played his cards right, he'd be able to somehow track that outlaw down and settle the score once and for all.