Chapter 18. Recovery.

It is a well known fact that if you leave two people alone in a room, sooner or later they will fall in love—unknown.

Chapter 18.

Recovery.

   Jake slowly opened his eyes, his mind was foggy, his head felt heavy, and all he knew was that everything in his body ached. Closing his eyes again he lay for a few moments, trying to figure out just where he was and what was going on. When he had regained some strength, he once more lifted his eyelids and noticed a figure standing not far from him. His blurred vision hindered him from recognizing the person. Reminded him of a woman, but that was impossible. There were no women at the Cora Belle. She was coming closer to him, and it seemed she was floating over the ground. He shifted a little, trying to get rid of the pain that seemed to cover every inch of his body. There was a soft light illuminating the room and it gave the floating female a sort of glow. Jake began to to seriously wonder if maybe he had died.

   "Am I dead?" He mumbled out loud, his voice husky and cracked.

   "Not quite; I fear yer stuck on the Circle 4."

   Despite his weakness, Jake grew alert and he strove to focus on his surroundings. "I know that accent," he said. "I'd recognize it anywhere."

   Dannie had to smile. "I believe you owe me five dollars," she softly said, trying her best to remain calm. Her heart thumped against her chest and her breathing was a little irregular, to think he was awake, and talking.

   "Damn it, I believe I do," Jake whispered, feeling very weak and stunned at the same time. He looked up at the face that was now close to his. "Dannie, is that really you?"

   "Yes, it is."

   "Where I am?"

   "I just said the Circle 4."

  "What am I doing here and why does my whole body ache? I feel like death itself."

   "You were attacked by cattle rustlers. We were afraid you wouldn't make it. Due to an infection in your leg you ran a fever and would often thrash about, mumbling words that were hard to understand. Now you seem to have regained full consciousness, and seem to be in your right mind. Only you must lie very still; there is still a long road to recovery."

"Right, right," Jake was silent for a few moments, as distant memories of past events began coming back to him. "Was I in really bad shape?" He questioned, licking his parched lips.

   "Terrible shape, three bullets and two knife wounds. God was very merciful indeed, one bullet just barely missed your heart."

   Jake looked over at his body, all covered in bandages. "Even durin' the war I never looked this bad," he thought to himself.

   "Do you want something to drink?" Dannie asked.

   "Got any whiskey?"

   Dannie rolled her eyes. "I think water will do for now," She said, raising Jake's head a little and lifting a cup to his lips.

   "How long have I been out?" Jake asked once Dannie had lowered him back on the pillow.

   "Five days. Now, you rest, I'll just go inform Mr. Martin that you have awakened." 

 Dannie tucked the blankets around Jake. He caught her arm to keep he from leaving.

"What are you doing here?" He asked. "How come yer not at the town?"

"Huh!" Dannie wriggled her wrist free from his grasp. "You would have known everything if you hadn't gone and disappeared for over three hundred and sixty five days."