Chapter 25. Courting Western.

Now from the days when it was always summer in Eden, to the days when it is mostly winter in fall latitudes, the world of a man has invariably gone one way...the way of the love of a woman—Charles Dickens.

Chapter 25.

Courting Western.

   The next day found Dannie and Sophie in the Hopewing mercantile. Sophie was browsing through the ribbons and bonnets with Dannie standing beside her. She was there supposedly there to lend advice, but in reality Dannie was far, far away, lost in a world where cupid ruled as king and lovers resided in houses built of clouds. At first Sophie didn't realize just how distant Dannie was, but when it dawned on her that Dannie nodded and said 'yes, yes' to just about every question, the young blonde became rather upset.

   "Dannie, are you here to help me or not?" She questioned angrily. "I need an honest opinion, which do you think is better, the blue or the green."

   "The green," Dannie absently stated, thinking of pale green eyes and the cowboy the belonged too.

   "Are you sure? Look, the blue matches my eyes. Perhaps we can buy some of the blue material to make a new dress to go with the ribbons."

   "Do what you think is best, Sophie." Dannie was getting tired of the endless questions; they were distracting her from more pleasant thoughts.

   "If I knew what was best, do you think I would be asking you!" Sophie burst out, her patience wearing thin. "What is the matter with you, Danielle Preston? Why won't you help me?"

   Before Dannie had a chance to answer, the door to the mercantile opened and Jake and Sam walked in. Dannie caught her breath and looked down, a shy, happy smile playing on her lips. Of course she had hoped that Jake would pop by the store as well but hadn't known if he would actually bother. He was, after all, trying to keep a low profile.

   Jake lost no time in making his way over to where Dannie and Sophie where standing.

   "My, you're up early," He directed his words towards Sophie. "I was sure the sleepin' beauty would still be asleep after all the dancin' she did last night. Honestly, Sophie, your stamina amazes me."

   Sophie rolled her eyes and turned back to the ribbons. Dannie giggled softly, and forced her eyes to look up into his. This was the Jake she had always known, clad in old, faded clothes, and his hair sticking out all over the place with dust in it.

   "Howdy ladies," Sam tipped his hat to the girls. "We keep bumpin' into each other, it is a strange game of a fate to be sure." He winked at Jake, who laughed quietly.

   "What are you doing here?" Dannie asked, directing the question to both men, but looking at Jake.

   "Stockin' up on supplies," Sam replied. "We'll be headin' back to the Cora Belle when we are done."

   "So soon?" Dannie frowned. Jake was leaving today? How unfair was that.

   "There ain't nothing else for us to do here," Sam replied. "Though I'm sure Jake could thing of a reason or two if he tried hard enough. The color rushed to Jake's face and he glared at Sam, who winked at him in return.

   "Not like it would matter to Dannie," Sophie retorted, "if you stayed till the second coming or not. Starting next week she'll be busy in school again and have too much work on her hands to bother with rudesome cowboys like you."

"I don't think rudesome is a word," school teacher Dannie had to point out.

Before Sophie could come up with a witty comeback the bell at the door sounded as Cal Jennson walked in. Noticing Dannie he walked straight up to her. Jake eyed the man with a jealous gaze, ready to strike him should the need present itself.