Distraction

[Mundane tasks are normally quite boring, until a break in the monotony of daily tasks is presented in the form of a specific type of interruption.]

[Word Count: 3244]
***
Steven:

I squinted to read the aged, fine print of the recipe, straining my neck to peer into the large book that was resting on the counter. This was supposed to be a stress-free experiment after returning home from work, but it required more effort than I originally expected.

"Two cups it is, I guess..." I mumbled, pouring the flour into the mixing bowl carefully to avoid any unnecessary spills to clean up afterwards. "And I...mix it by hand?" I asked myself, rereading the miniature directions in disbelief. "Okay, then."

I hurriedly re-washed my hands, being sure to remove my engagement ring and place it on the counter, safely away from the experiment of dough that I was going to form in the bowl. With a small giggle and a preparation to completely make a mess with my hands, I inserted both hands into the bowl and began to mix according to the directions.

The door to the apartment suddenly opened, and a jubilant voice cried out. "(Y/N), my love! I did it! I did it!" Steven excitedly claimed, shuffling into the apartment and closing it behind him. He quickly removed his tan jacket and laid it neatly over one of the kitchen chairs. He placed his leather bag onto the dining table and ventured to me.

"Hello, Steven! I missed you! What-" I began to question, interested to what his apparently exciting day entailed. He interrupted me by holding me  from behind and stealing a soft kiss that immediately melted me. "What has you in such a cheery mood?" I giggled, continuing to mix the concoction before me.

He shook his head with a chuckle. "I can't tell you. I-I have to show you!" He explained, removing my hands from the bowl in front of me.

"Wait, Steven, wait!" I beckoned, my eyes widening as the unmixed flour fell from my hands that Steven had just retrieved. He only laughed and placed my arms around his neck.

"It's fine! I'll help you clean up, my love. But I'll forget it if I don't do it again." He returned, guiding me with hands around my waist toward a more open area of the apartment.

My hands trailed flour onto the back of his neatly pressed button-up shirt, and the hardwood that he was leading me over. I sighed with a chuckle and followed his antics, extremely curious as to what he had been referring to.

"So, we're getting married in a month." He grinned, pausing his steps and securing his hands around my waist. "And I... I wanted to surprise you on our wedding day, but... I can't wait any longer." The words tumbled out of his mouth and I raised an eyebrow in confusion. "I've been taking dance lessons for you."

My mouth dropped in surprise at hearing Steven's confession, observing the proud and valiant expressions that radiated from him. "For me?" I repeated, smiling in sudden timidness.

I hardly knew how to dance, but I had mentioned to Steven that I wanted to share a first dance at our wedding.

"Yes, my love." He nodded in affirmation, "And all you have to do is follow me." Steven grinned widely, rubbing my lower back softly in comfort.

"Okay, Mr. Grant. Lead the way." I hopefully shrugged, abandoning the idea of trying a new dessert recipe on the kitchen counter.

Being with Steven was a better and more preferred option than spending my time doing anything else.

Steven nodded quickly and gently pulled me against him, opening his palms against my back and securing me close. "If your hands weren't dirty, you'd hold my hand." He chuckled, pressing his lips against my nose softly.