Lullabies [Part 1]

[A/N: Hello my lovely readers! Before you read, this chapter can be read as an epilogue chapter to The Moon and The Sun, my original story. If you're not familiar with it, my MC is the avatar of Anubis, so he will be making an appearance here! Thank you for your support! I hope you enjoy! -K 🖤]

[There's always a first time for everything, but in this case of a first time delivery, it been a most stressful and painful experience. Is it possible in a situation as dire as this one to look forward to something so precious?]

[Words: 4551]

[This chapter contains mentions of blood, pregnancy, birth, and angst.]
***
The past 38 hours had turned out to be the worst of my life. I was exhausted, overwhelmed, and overstimulated to the point of no return. But the pain was the most unbearable factor.

My throat, sore and scratchy from begging and pleading for nearly two days, released yet another whimper of agony. I squeezed my eyes closed so forcefully that even more hot tears cascaded down my cheeks, effectively adding to the puddle that had collected, dripping down my clammy neck.

"I'm here, baby." Marc's comforting baritone voice sounded so distant amongst the other reverberations and sounds within the busied room. Overlapping voices, monitors, continuous beeps and rhythmic alarms, and even the shuffling of bodies flooded my already numbed senses. "Can you hear me?"

My burning eyes opened slowly, and with a few harsh blinks, my blurred vision cleared to reveal the love of my life. But also the reason I was in this situation. "Mhm..." I quietly confirmed his question, but in a split second, my words were incoherent as I began to cry aloud once more.

Marc's concerned expression only intensified as I tightly gripped the side bar of the hospital bed. "I'm here, sweetheart. You're doing great, so wonderful." I felt his lips against my temple which was layered with perspiration. "What can I do? Tell me, baby. What can I do to help?"

"Don't..." I sobbed in anguish as Marc grabbed my hand and leaned over the side of the bed to place his head in the crook of my sweaty neck. "Don't leave me..." I begged through tears of pure agony, gasping with every torturous second that passed. With my free hand, I desperately hugged him closer, feeling the line of the connected I.V. pull in the opposite direction.

Marc shuddered with a silent cry and kissed my flushed cheek repeatedly. "I'm so sorry, baby. I hate seeing you in pain." He gently brushed away the hair stuck on my forehead before kissing my skin. "I'll never leave you, (Y/N). You're stuck with me." He lightly chuckled, but I was too weak to reciprocate even a smile.

Even without words, Marc understood me. He possessed the ability to read and interpret my soul. He studied me intensely and passionately, never once looking away or stepping down from the position he had promised to remain in. With gentle hands, he held the back of my head to release my hair that had been haphazardly tied in a hair elastic.

My eyes forcefully closed once more as I choked back another heartbreaking wail. "Oh, my sweetheart..." Marc cooed with a cracking voice as he skillfully wrapped my hair into a bun that rested on the crown of my head. Stray hairs clung to my perspiring skin, but with a soft and recently wetted washcloth, he cooled my overheating skin with loving swipes down my neck and across my blotchy cheeks.

Mumbled voices and the sounds of hurried footsteps continued to fade in and out of my hearing. A constant ringing permeated my thoughts, leaving me unable to focus. A sudden shock of contracting muscles forced a pained scream from me, and with that movement, I had no choice but to arch my exhausted body to find relief from the continuous torment.

Sweet nothings poured from Marc's trembling lips as he held my damp cheek against his own. I gripped his shoulder again and tried to find a more comfortable position, but nothing aided in offering relief. My other hand dug into the thin sheet of the hospital bed, tugging and pulling at the fabric to distract me or alleviate my misery. Unfortunately, every attempt was futile.