Just In Time

[Being on time is important in everyday situations, but even more crucial in the most important of moments. Thankfully, there's someone watching from the heavens who is prepared to send a Knight in the most troublesome of times.]

[Word Count: 4721]

[This one shot contains slight swearing and an uncomfortable situation.]
***
The chilly wind blew my hair over my shoulder, slightly displacing my curls that I worked so hard to achieve. I pulled my jacket tighter around me, bracing the dropping temperatures.

By the looks of the approaching clouds across the evening sky, it was possible that rain would be my only companion on my journey home, aside from the moon above. I sent a faint grin to the illuminated body above, thankful that it was still noticeable through the clouds.

The twinkling lights of the restaurant were beckoning to me as I neared, my heels clacking on the pavement with every nervous step. I breathed deeply, hoping that the passerbys couldn't tell how anxious I was about reaching the restaurant, one I had never attended before.

I had been looking toward this specific evening for weeks now. I had spent the better part of three hours preparing myself to look the part that in was hoping to achieve. I glanced at my watch, hurrying my steps to be there just in time.

I only had one chance at this first impression.

"Ms. (L/N)?" A voice called in my direction, waving at me from a table positioned in the seated area of the gated portion of the restaurant. I glanced curiously to the owner of the voice, now seeing a man stand from his chair and grin at me widely.

As I neared the table, I took my purse from my shoulder and held it before me. "Mr. Bracken?" I hopefully suggested, to which he resolutely nodded. "It's a pleasure, sir." I kindly smiled, offering my hand in a polite greeting.

"The pleasure is all mine. And please, call me Nathaniel." He smiled in return, shaking my hand vigorously and motioning to the seat across from him. "Please, take a seat." I retracted my hand slowly, stretching it as I pulled my seat out far enough to sit comfortably. "I'm so glad we were able to meet here. You know, I've heard that this restaurant has the best steak in town."

I rested my purse on the back corner of my chair. "That's great! Steak is my favorite." I chuckled nervously, turning to face the handsome man across from me. His freckled skin was warmed by the tall street lamps we sat under and his dusty brown hair only complimented his strong and pronounced features.

The table separating us was beautifully adorned with ornate decor. The recently pressed ivory tablecloth held gorgeous crystal glasses and a pristine glass vase where a few roses rested idly. Flickering candles offered waves of illumination, reflecting from the glass and utensils in a prism of colors. The silverware was neatly placed in order of the appetizers and entrees, completing the scene of an intimate dinner under the lights strung above.

"Are we ready to start with drinks?" A waiter appeared at the side of the table, prepared with a pen and small notebook. His presence surprised me, but it was pleasing to know that the restaurant was living up to its good reviews.

"I'll have a glass of your finest red, and she'll have a water. Maybe add a lemon, yeah?" Nathaniel answered while adjusting his watch. He nodded and winked in my direction.

I was taken aback, not quite sure how to approach this situation, especially if I was trying to make a good impression on a possible employer.

The waiter glanced to me, raising his eyebrows. "Would you like a water with a lemon, ma'am?" His back faced Nathaniel and he paid attention to only me.